ePMP Elevate

I agree, maybe they could upgrade the AP's so they have a secondary WPA2 key that is the default key and can be enabled/disabled at will. 

Preferbaly without a reboot after the feature is added.

2 Likes

@jakkwb wrote:

Ok, so if this does not work out for whatever reason - is it possible to put the Ubnt software back on the SM? I don't expect I would ever want to do so, but just in case...

yes, you are able to flash the UBNT SW back onto the units.

@Chris 1 wrote:

I agree, maybe they could upgrade the AP's so they have a secondary WPA2 key that is the default key and can be enabled/disabled at will. 

Preferbaly without a reboot after the feature is added.

Yeah, the default WPA key issue is a deal-breaker for the no-truck-roll upgrade for me.  I could always hang another AP with an omni temporarily (with the default key) I suppose and then move people over.  That means trips to sites but it is certainly less driving in total.

1 Like

What? No 2.4 Ghz options :( Are there plans to support UBNT NSM2, Powerbeam M2?

@mattorola wrote:

What? No 2.4 Ghz options :( Are there plans to support UBNT NSM2, Powerbeam M2?

It's on the roadmap outlined in the webinar.

LOL.  Guys, if you watch the webinar replay, most of your questions are already answered in there. :)

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Elevate/ePMP-Elevate-webinar-replay/m-p/62777#U62777

So if you have an EPMP 1000 or 2000 on your tower using something OTHER than the default cambiump WPA password upgrading a 3rd party UBNT device will not re-associate.

I for one dont use the "default" cambium wpa password and I think  no one else does as that would be stupid as then anyone with an EPMP client like a competitor would be able to connect to your network and cause havoc?

So either way I need to do a truck roll to the customer to at least log into the UBNT hardware flashed with Elevate to input the correct security key for my AP.

When I reflash if the UBNT is set to DHCP will it default to 192.168.0.2 if it cant connect to an AP due to the wrong security key?

Please cprrect me if I am wrong  in my thinking here?

I guess you could but you would have to buy a license  key for your temp AP with default wpa. If I am not mistaken here?

Wow!  Cambium have always had massive kudos in my books - just the way they do stuff.  It works from the outset, it launches when they say it will, and it does what it says on the tin.  Rare to find with the other vendors (including the newer entrants).

However, this Elevate has risen them to another level altogether.  Cambium have managed to integrate UBNT's 802.11n SM's with their GPS synchronised, beam forming, proprietary 802.11 MAC platform FASTER than Ubiquiti could do the same with their OWN hardware and their 802.11ac AirMax stuff (AirOS8 is still in beta right?).  It just shows the quality of Cambiums engineers.  

Plus, this also opens a whole new range of SM options.

Simply amazing and well done Cambium.  

Rich

3 Likes

@accelwireless wrote:

I for one dont use the "default" cambium wpa password and I think  no one else does as that would be stupid as then anyone with an EPMP client like a competitor would be able to connect to your network and cause havoc?

So either way I need to do a truck roll to the customer to at least log into the UBNT hardware flashed with Elevate to input the correct security key for my AP.

I suspect the roll-out plan for elevate would be done on a per-sector/site basis.  In which case you have a temp "provisioning" AP that you move around from site to site as you do each sector.

Would be nice if v3.3 could include a second "provisioning" SSID on the AP for this purpose.

Rich

1 Like

@richinuk wrote:

I suspect the roll-out plan for elevate would be done on a per-sector/site basis.  In which case you have a temp "provisioning" AP that you move around from site to site as you do each sector.

Would be nice if v3.3 could include a second "provisioning" SSID on the AP for this purpose.

Rich

That's a really interesting idea... give the ePMP AP the ability to have a second default SSID and WPA key, just for conversion purposes. Then once you've converted all the UBNT clients, you can move them out of the default pool, into the main SSID and WPA key pool. Maybe there's even some security measures in there where anyone in the default/secondary SSID pool can't reach the internet. Would be awesome to just push a button and instantly convert/move all clients from the default pool into the main pool (it would push an SSID and WPA change to all clients instantly).

1 Like

Eric Ozrelic wrote:

That's a really interesting idea... give the ePMP AP the ability to have a second default SSID and WPA key, just for conversion purposes.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Then you could make a template on cnMaestro and update the SM's to the desired SSID / Key.

Now if only cnMaestro had the capabilities of AirControl 2. Moving a network from UBNT using Elevate can be daunting consideration without a fully capable monitoring system.

AC2 has a distinct network advantage for monitoring compared to cnMaestro.

Main aspect been throughput, signal and rates history for the devices for as long as they have been added to AC2. This comes in to play when diagnosing faults.

However cnMaestro definately has the advantage with the method of onboarding it uses. Also the dashboad is great with the notifications.

Overall I believe cnMaestro is coming along nicely and once they get the monitoring tools right it will be great.

I also had a video conference a few weeks back with the cnMaestro engineers with a live AC2 demonstration so hopefully this has helped them with future developments and idea's they can bring to the table.

Either way look forward to trying out Elevate and seeing how it goes, will keep you updated once we have it running on a AP in the field.

Is it possible to connect more than 10 Elevate SM to a single AP?
I’m asking because I read license only up to 10 users for each AP.

@giuseppe4 wrote:
I'm asking because I read license only up to 10 users for each AP.

Yes... Cambium sells Elevate licenses in single and 10 unit packs.

1 Like

You can use up to 120 Elevate units per ePMP AP.
12 Elevate licenses with 10 units capacity each one can be applied for ePMP AP.

Thank you.

1 Like

Good idea 1 major issue cambium over looked is the need for dual SSID on the upgrade path for a smooth upgrade remote it would need to allow you to out the UBNT AP in wifi mode then upgrade the SM with it connecting to the old UBNT AP then after all SM’s are upgraded should then allow you to swap the rocket for a epmp AP on the tower and all the SM’s should then automatically connect to the 2nd SSID that is the default cambium

The way cambium wants us to do it now is renting extra tower space for a 2nd AP and Antenna then after upgrade remove old AP from tower that’s a lot of extra work that can be avoided by spending a bit more time on the software…

Can’t work that way Tim. You can’t mix TDD mode with wifi even if dual SSID was available. You don’t need to rent more tower space. I’ve converted literally hundreds of APs.

Schedule your tower climb, as the climbers get started, push firmware to cpes, after ap is swapped cpes are back. We’ve done as many as 100 cpes (flipping from wifi mode to TDD in the cpes) in about 10 minutes. Let your customers know ahead if time when you go to make the changes, do them in succession and you’re done. The customer impacting outtage shouldn’t last more than a few minutes if it’s properly coordinated.

@richinuk wrote:

@accelwireless wrote:

Rich

There's not really any need to have a second SSID, ePMP SMs already have the option of connecting to an "open" or "WPA2" AP, all we need is for the "Open" option to be checked by default. Then you could just check open (in addtiontion to WPA2 and/or Radius) on all the SMs that are currently on the AP and set the AP to open until you get all the elevated SMs reconfigured (at which point it would just be a matter of switching WPA2 back on on the AP). But this is really only an issue if you're adding Elevated SMs to an AP that already has other SMs connected to it - if it's a complete conversion with a new AP, you would simply set it up with the default WPA2 key and change it after all the SMs have been reconfigured. There would be a bit more down time that way, especially if there are a lot of SMs on the AP, but it is do-able.

Currently, it can certainly still be done without truck rolls (assuming the ePMP already has SMs with a non-default key), it's just going to involve some down time for the current ePMP SMs (just change the key, and change it back when you're done).

@giuseppe4 wrote:
I'm asking because I read license only up to 10 users for each AP.

A couple other have already answered, but just for clarity for everyone else reading...

The Elevate CPE license adds are cumulative - so if for example you need 13 Elevate CPE licenses on some sector, you could buy a 10 pack and then 3 individual 1 packs if you want ($315 + $35 + $35 + $35 = $420 = 13 CPE's)