ePMP Integrated Radio (NO GPS) Performances as AP

Hi everyone :)

I would like to know if anyone can give me some example of ePMP Performance using the Connectorized Radio without GPS (the one suggested as SM unit) as an Access Point.

How much users does it support?
How much total throughput with 20 or 40MHz?

Does it support 75/25 ratio?

I mean this one:

Thank you!

Hi guiseppe4, 

The Connectorized Radio has exactly the same functionality as the GPS radio. Except two things:

1. It has a Fast Ethernet port while the GPS radio has a GigE port that supports 802.3af standard PoE in addition to  Cambium PoE.
  2. It has no sync circuitry and therefore, in AP mode, It cannot synchronize with another AP as it is not capable of receiving sync from any sync source.  

Everything else remains the same

Thanks,

Sriram

2 Likes

The only real difference between the GPS and non-GPS connectorized radios is that the GPS supports gigabit ethernet. The RF performance is the same. There might be certain circumstances when using a 40MHz channel width under ideal conditions  where your throughput would be limited by the 100mbps ethernet port.

EDIT: Sri beat me to it!

2 Likes

Thank you!
So I can use 75/25 ratio even If I'm not syncronizing the radio?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm new to ePMP :)

@giuseppe4 wrote:

Thank you!
So I can use 75/25 ratio even If I'm not syncronizing the radio?

Yes.

1 Like

So, speaking about performances, if I don't want to do any frequency reuse, the performances are exactly the same?

Is the CPU the same? The number of users I can have is the same, everything the same?

So why does the GPS version costs so much more?

@giuseppe4 wrote:

So, speaking about performances, if I don't want to do any frequency reuse, the performances are exactly the same?

Is the CPU the same? The number of users I can have is the same, everything the same?

So why does the GPS version costs so much more?

Yes, RF performance, user load performance, number of users etc... will all be the same (aside from ethernet port differences between the two). I believe that both units use the same Atheros SOC.

While there's few hardware differences between GPS and non-GPS that would warrant such a large price difference, there's significant R&D costs associated with creating a GPS timed system. My guess is that you're mostly paying for this support in order achieve the extra capacity at the site by being able to do things like frequency reuse or timing with legacy systems (like PMP100).

1 Like

>if I don't want to do any frequency reuse, the performances are exactly the same?

>Is the CPU the same? The number of users I can have is the same, everything the same?

As other's have said, the CPU / Radio Performance / etc is all the same. However, the GPS sync isn't just only for frequency reuse. It's also for significant reduction in self-interference from your other sectors on the same tower, from ePMP on all your other towers, and potentially even from competitive towers that are also running Canopy or Cambium products.

There are also a couple ways to reduce that up front cost.

A) There is a 5 Ghz ''Lite'' AP that has the exact same GPS Sync hardware and the GigaBit Ethernet, but is software limited to 10 Subscribers. So, you can buy this less expensively to get the GPS equipped hardware, and then upgrade the 'Lite'' AP to a ''Full'' AP with just a software license key when you outgrow the 10 SM limitation.

B) There are also sometimes specials where if you buy 2 GPS Sync'd AP's, you get a 3rd one free.  

So, you basically have 3 choices for Access Points

1) A non-synced unit for about $100

2) A 'Lite' GPS Synced AP (10 client limit) for about $225

3) A 'Full' GPS Synced AP for about $499 - buy 2 and get 3 - so net about $333 each.

1 Like

Ninedd, Thank you! It’s very clear now :slight_smile:

Keep in mind you can also use the same connectorized unit as a ePMP 1000 hotspot. Just upload the firmware, and for about 20 bucks you can get the 5 dbi Cambium dipole antennas in both flavors 2g and 5g. If you haven't already get a cnMaestro account setup too! 

1 Like