ePMP "Passing Sync in an Additional Hop" like PMP?

The PMP Solutions User Guide [My version is 12.1] has a section for "Passing Sync in an Additional Hop". It shows how an SM can pass sync on to a connected AP using a sync cable:

It goes on to explain the AP at location 1 and the AP at location 3 are synchronized.

Is this a feature that works with ePMP? If so, can it be used to provide sync for a non-GPS AP (i.e., ePMP Integrated units)? I have many locations where this setup would allow my service to expand to 2-3 more customers. I cannot justify the cost of a GPS AP to add only 2-3 customers to the network, but I could see using an ePMP Integrated radio.

Thanks, Chris

The ePMP radios lack an RJ12 GPS timing port and cannot be daisy chained for timing. The ePMP GPS AP radios do have a built in GPS receiver along with a small external antenna with mag-mount that is used for timing. There's also a lower cost version of the 5GHz ePMP GPS AP that allows for PtP operations, or PtMP operation limited to 10 subscribers. Full subscriber capacity can be unlocked by purchasing a key. Unfortunatly, I cannot really find any additional information or pricing on this lower cost AP. Maybe someone from Cambium can chime in?

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

The ePMP radios lack an RJ12 GPS timing port and cannot be daisy chained for timing. The ePMP GPS AP radios do have a built in GPS receiver along with a small external antenna with mag-mount that is used for timing. There's also a lower cost version of the 5GHz ePMP GPS AP that allows for PtP operations, or PtMP operation limited to 10 subscribers. Full subscriber capacity can be unlocked by purchasing a key. Unfortunatly, I cannot really find any additional information or pricing on this lower cost AP. Maybe someone from Cambium can chime in?

I understand the GPS Sync radios can pass GPS timing over the RJ45 port, but I do not know whether the non-GPS radios can do it (or whether the capability to extend sync exists at all).

Streakwave sells the 5 GHz Lite GPS radio by itself (C058900R052A) listed at an MSRP of $209 vs $499 for the standard GPS version. I'm not sure what changed, but the Lite price recently increased by about $20. Winncom has it listed as well. I beleve it is sold without the GPS antenna. 

My bigger challenge is with 2.4 GHz. There is no Lite radio available. Passing sync would be very useful if it was possible with the existing hardware.

@uberdome wrote:

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

I understand the GPS Sync radios can pass GPS timing over the RJ45 port, but I do not know whether the non-GPS radios can do it (or whether the capability to extend sync exists at all).

Streakwave sells the 5 GHz Lite GPS radio by itself (C058900R052A) listed at an MSRP of $209 vs $499 for the standard GPS version. I'm not sure what changed, but the Lite price recently increased by about $20. Winncom has it listed as well. I beleve it is sold without the GPS antenna. 

My bigger challenge is with 2.4 GHz. There is no Lite radio available. Passing sync would be very useful if it was possible with the existing hardware.

Hi Chris, 

The non-GPS radios do not have the ability to pass sync like the Canopy line. The non-GPS radios cannot generate or recieve sync from any source, period (of course when registered to a GPS AP as an SM, their timing is controlled by the AP through the TDD MAC). Like Eric said, you should use a GPS radio (which comes with a built-in GPS reciever) at location 3. I understand that you are trying to use 2.4 GHz with a Lite AP but we have no firm plans to introduce a Lite AP version for 2.4 GHz. 

Thanks,

Sriram