EPMP - UBNT Change Over

We noticed a point or two drop from the ubnt nsm2 overall. However our modulations have generally been better and when we’ve changed from liner antennas the xpol our chain matches have been slightly better and noticed some units that where sitting at mcs 12, moved to 13. Compared to ubnts 2.4 ghz 90 sector, the Cambium sector has smoother edges and we noticed a gain at our lobe edges over the ubnt antennas, ubnt has them for -6 db at the edge, Cambium is -3. I’m sure there will be times one system reaches further than the next on power so testing of several link conditions would be useful. For us, the overall performance has been there the entire time. The passive reflect brings the gain to 18/19 db says kp performance and it shows. The reflectors in nlos conditions have be significantly out performing nano beams in an RF stand point for us. The beams didn’t match pols well and didn’t really seem to uplink any better than nsm2s for us. The 5ghz beams in my opinion were worth buying, the 2ghz beams are junk.

2 Likes

Awesome. There is some good reading here...I have a single Ubnt 2.4 sector I plan to change over soon. Has about 15 subs on it on a 10mhz channel. Yes, ping times are all over the place, no consistancy at all. I have the newest beta software on it so I can see the mem and CPU counters. They are always within what I consider normal numbers, even when all registered radios pings go over 100ms...

Do yall recommend changing the Ubiquiti sector antenna out for the Cambium one? I have RF-Armor on it.

Also, will the Ubiquiti power supply work? Would be nice to not have to go in the house each time...

Very anxious to get this switched, but have to get almost all Force 200 units when they get available.

For the 2ghz cpes, the ubnt 24v supplies work. They will not work for 5ghz. The sector antenna will work also, if you look arround you can find a radio mount adapter online, a hose clamp works too.

"Do yall recommend changing the Ubiquiti sector antenna out for the Cambium one?"

For what it is worth we have a 5Ghz ubiquiti sector (no shield) that appears to be out performing our Cambium sectors right now. It's just a single sector so this is pretty anecdotal atm.   Yesterday we went up and swapped out a 2.4Ghz Cambium sector (last I knew the 2.4Ghz cambium sectors are 90degree)  with a 120 degree 2.4 Ubiquiti sector and really don't  see any difference in signal strength but all the connections on this tower/sector are less than 1.5 miles so we have yet to really test it vs range and edges .  

These will let you mount the ePMP to the rocket antenna.

https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=EB-ePmP&eq=&Tp=&o1=0

As for what will/won't work with Ubiquiti power supplies. I believe that right now all but one model of ePMP will work with Ubiquiti power supplies. The one exception is the 5Ghz ePMP 1000 subscriber radios (no GPS sync connectorized and/or integrated). The new 5Ghz force 180 radios will work with the ubiquiti power supplies and people are saying the new force200 radios will also work with ubiquiti radios. 

Something to keep in mind powering t he ePMP access point  (GPS Sync radios). The GPS Sync radios  appear to have resistors in them that act as heaters when the radio is starting up and it's cold. These resistors pull extra power when it is cold and you may find that 24v power sources like ubiquiti power supplies do not work where the 30v ePMP power supplies will.  I don't know if the non-gps radios have heaters, we haven't had any problems with them but almost all our customer installs have Cambium power supplies.

The problem with Ubnt sector was not the FTB ratio ? I think it's not enough to acheive MCS15 with back to back frequency reuse . Maybe with shield, it would be fine.

all of the epmp radios have the "heaters"     I'll try freezing a 2.4 unit today and see if a ubnt supply can warm it up to operating temp.

the 120 degree ubnt sector has a similar forward arrangement as the cambiums 90 degree, ubnt likes to mark the sector width at -6db and most other manufactures use the -3 as the edge.      looking at the graph between the two, the forward radiation is similar, the 90 degree ubnt sector looks more like a 65 degree on its pattern. 

the biggest difference in quality from these two brands in the vertical spread of the sector, the ubnt ones are ok, but have more sharp contrasting changes to them.     they also have poorer FTB ratio. if you've got the RF armor shields on the 2.4 they will work out pretty good, we've got a couple running like that.    the ubnt 2.4 can work for the AP without the shield but you'll likely run into a small degrease in uplink modulation when re-using channels.   of course each experiences is going to vary with that as the back lobe pattern isn't constants on the rear of the antenna.

generally we haven't been changing the UBNT antenna with the cambium antenna except new depoloyments.   all of our UBNT antennas are shielded though.

3 Likes

My experiance has been that the F/B ratio is very poor on the UBNT sectors... I wouldn't try to do frequency re-use with those sectors unless they have extra shielding on them. The UBNT Titanium sectors are probably fine, but the standard ones leak way too much out the back.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, lots of interesting info. Has anyone used the UBNT Omni with the EPMP, If anyone has info would like to know pros and cons. Thanks

we've had a couple epmp 2.4s on the UBNT omni.     we've secotrized some for load, but omnis in general are subject to the same issues

increased risk of noise, regardless of manufacture. the UBNT omnis have done pretty well for us as far as omnis go, i don't like to use them at all, but sometimes they are the idea situation match for the $$  

lower gain than sectors, generally.  

poorer SNR than sectors generally. 

no ablitly to control tilt, the UBNT omnis have some electrical down tilt, but its still a horizon shot within the antennas spread (back to the noise concern)

2ghz UBNT radio on the UBNT omni compared to

cambium radio on the UBNT omni     we still saw an improvement on overall performance, but it wasn't sharp and changin out 2ghz ubnt radios to 2ghz cambium radios.  

5ghz area, we use them in areas we don't expect much LOS traffic, 20 to 40 subs on a 20mhz channel, no issues. of course the forward power is a lot weaker than a panel.  

1 Like

This project of mine has been delayed until now....got the EPMP AP plastic clip to adapt it to fit the Ubnt sector antenna. Proceeding to put RF-Armor on it. Well, the radio sticking down lower and is larger than the hole cut out in the RF-Armor shielding. Looks like I will have to cut it out to allow for the EPMP case...Not that big of a deal, I guess...Just wanting to reuse this antenna/shield instead of purchasing new.