ePMP VLAN Question

I have a question regarding ePMP SMs and VLAN config.  I'm curious about the interaction between Data VLAN ID and Multicast VLAN ID.

Enabling a Data VLAN on an SM and setting Data VLAN ID to a value takes untagged packets that hit the SM LAN, and appies that tag to it before it leaves for the AP.  The SM will untag any packets with that ID received on it's WAN.

I also see there's a setting called Multicast VLAN, which would apply this Multicast VLAN ID tag to any Multicast data hitting the SM LAN port before it gets sent upstream.

My question is, if you don't enable the Multicast VLAN setting but do still enable the Data VLAN, will untagged Multicast traffic hitting the LAN port get that Data VLAN tag applied before it leaves the SM WAN, or would it leave the SM WAN untagged?

@deveauzt wrote:

I have a question regarding ePMP SMs and VLAN config.  I'm curious about the interaction between Data VLAN ID and Multicast VLAN ID.

Enabling a Data VLAN on an SM and setting Data VLAN ID to a value takes untagged packets that hit the SM LAN, and appies that tag to it before it leaves for the AP.  The SM will untag any packets with that ID received on it's WAN.

I also see there's a setting called Multicast VLAN, which would apply this Multicast VLAN ID tag to any Multicast data hitting the SM LAN port before it gets sent upstream.

My question is, if you don't enable the Multicast VLAN setting but do still enable the Data VLAN, will untagged Multicast traffic hitting the LAN port get that Data VLAN tag applied before it leaves the SM WAN, or would it leave the SM WAN untagged?

Hi,

Multicast will be tagged with Data VLAN tag.

Multicast will be considered as data traffic until Multicast VLAN is enabled.

Please find more information on VLAN configuration on the following link:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Networking/ePMP-VLAN-Traffic-Pass-through-Example-Scenarios/m-p/42043#M10

Thank you.

4 Likes

Excellent.  I figured as much, but wasn't certain.

Thanks.