ePMP vs PTP

Hello!

what is the difference between PTP products and ePMP products that make PTP ones more expensive?? 
I mean the ePMP ones like ePMP 1000 can be used as both PTP and PMP. So why the ePMP products are cheaper?
I really appreciate your help in advance.
1 Like

The more expensive radios are designed with custom chips / silicone that is very programmable and that cost a lot to make. The cheaper ePMP, Ubiquiti, Mimosa and all your Walmart grade wifi routers are mostly based on chips that are already being mass produced by the millions (tens of millions?) so they are a lot cheaper.

1 Like

Thank you!

I want to set up a point to point link with 200 Mbps throughput for sending image, videos and data. The link must be available at 20 km. The link is LOS. could I use ePMP products?? for example ePMP 2000. Or,I must use a PTP produsts like PTP670?

In this case, i'd recommend starting with LINKPlanner to put the exact coordinates of the end points of this link.

LINKPlanner is a tool available on our support site.  It will let you do 'what-if' scenarios looking at channel sizes, antenna sizes/heights, etc.  It will then give you a capacity and availability prediction for the link.  You can also compare the different technologies such as PTP 670 or ePMP.

I believe you'll have multiple options to close a LOS 20km link but the tools will give you excellent guidance.

- Bruce

You can have 200Mbps of throughput with a good 40MHz link using ePMP 3000 ac technology. You can check connectorized version to use bigger antennas.

Using PTP series you’ll have a better spectrum efficiency, less latency and more stability in interfered spectrum, but I suggest you to try LINKPlanner as suggested, and try ePMP product line first, I’m sure you’ll not be disappointed if you are searching for a cost effective link.

@giuseppe4 wrote:

You can have 200Mbps of throughput with a good 40MHz link using ePMP 3000...   ...try ePMP product line first, I’m sure you’ll not be disappointed if you are searching for a cost effective link.

Yes, I second this motion.  We have a Force300-to-Force300 Point-to-Point link, about 1.25 KM and we get about 310 Mbit aggregate throughput in a 40 Mhz channel.  It's shooting right across a residential neighborhood, so fairly noisy - but it performs great.