ePTP issue

I've recently updated one of my existing link 2.4.3 to 2.4.1. Overall performance was good. I changed mood PTP to ePTP. When i wanted to get access to SM, the ping suddenly raised upto 300-1000+ ms. So it took longer time to get access to remote device. Without trying to accessing SM, ping response was good (2/3 ms). If also affected to my overall performance.
So i went back to PTP mood & it worked well.

What's wrong with that???

Hello Asif,

I believe this issue was addressed in 2.4.2, which is the latest firmware.

Regards,

Luis

I tried utilizing the EPTP Slave / Master settings this weekend to see if it would increase my throughput and it went the opposite direction.  Is this also caused by the 2.4.1 firmware?  I haven't tried the 2.4.3 firmware yet on any of my devices.

In PTP mode I was consistently about 60mb throughput and signal strenght of about 71.

When I switch to EPTP my signal strenght shot to 84 and my throughput went down to about 10mb.

Did I need to change any other settings, all I changed was the mode.

Screen shots below, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryo

Hello,

There were improvements made to the rate adaptation algorithm used in ePTP mode (which is different from the one used in TDD and TDD PTP modes) in 2.4.2 as well. This should improve the data rate of that link when in ePTP mode (notice that your link  uses MCS12/MCS11 in TDD PTP mode, while it drops to MCS4/MCS2 in ePTP mode).

Regards,

Luis

Is there any reason besides the firmware that would cause the link quality to go south after switching modes?

I've upgraded everything to 2.4.3, but I  haven't tried the EPTP mode yet.

I'll try it after everything settles down after these upgrades.

Thanks for the feedback,

Ryo

ePTP longer than 32miles has registering problem too. I tried to register my BH which was 36miles apart in ePTP Master AP ePTP slave mode but it failed to register. After I revert it to TDD PTP in AP and  TDD in slave it works fine.

Whereas shorter range works fine in ePTP mode.

Bishal Pun wrote: After I revert it to TDD PTP in AP and  TDD in slave it works fine. 

Hi Bishal - did you have to have people on both sides of the link to try this? Since there is no 'test' mode, or no 'ping rebooter' mode - I'm wondering if you have some other trick that you used? Or if you had to arrange to have a tech on the other side of the link in order for you to experiment with the link modes?

@Bishal Pun wrote:

ePTP longer than 32miles has registering problem too. I tried to register my BH which was 36miles apart in ePTP Master AP ePTP slave mode but it failed to register. After I revert it to TDD PTP in AP and  TDD in slave it works fine.

Whereas shorter range works fine in ePTP mode.

Hi, 

ePTP mode uses a slightly different mechanism than TDD mode. In order to ensure a reliable and stable link and keep the latency low, we have restricted the range of the link. 

The ranges in ePTP mode are as follows:

20 MHz: 32 miles (52 km)

40 MHz: 15 miles (24 km)

Thanks,

Sriram

Thanks Sriram for the information.

Hi Ninedd, yes I do have people on both side.