ePTP VLAN Priority?

The ePMP User Guide states that "MIR and Traffic Priority" capabilities in the QoS menu are not available in ePTP mode. 

Are VLAN Priority / Class of Service headers still honored in ePTP mode? Specifically, is it possible to use a VLAN with a high priority tag to ensure passing of critical traffic when an ePTP link may become saturated?

Thank you, 

Chris

Hi Chris, 

In ePTP mode, no QoS (including VLAN priorities) are honored for over-the-air traffic. All of this traffic is simply passed through using normal priority. The VLAN Priority / Class of Service will need to be handled by the routers on either end of the ePTP link. Unfortunately, even then, the routers may not have any knowledge of whether the ePTP link is becoming saturated or not. 

Hopefully other community members will chime in with how they are handling QoS when using ePTP mode. 

Thanks,

Sriram

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

... The VLAN Priority / Class of Service will need to be handled by the routers on either end of the ePTP link. Unfortunately, even then, the routers may not have any knowledge of whether the ePTP link is becoming saturated or not.

Sriram, 

I would like to see some mechanism allowing some traffic to be prioritized even in the ePTP mode, for the very reason you described: "the routers may not have any knowledge of whether the ePTP link is becoming saturated or not". 

The radios know best whether the link is saturated or not. I'd like to see some ability to prioritize traffic using that information on the radios, or through some rapid reporting mechanism to send the information from the radios to the routers.

The ePTP mode significantly reduces latency, but I still cannot use it in many scenarios since I cannot trust a link that may fade, become saturated, or both. 

Thank you,

Chris

This would be a nice feature as well as ATPC.  There's no sense in having my ePTP link at -45 when at -60 it performs just as well.  ePTP needs a little loving.