Ethernet and Powersupplys

How many of you have experienced after a storm, the customers networkcard, router, switch is dead and has no link? I have seen this quite a few times.

Installing the Canopy Surgesupressior and a Surgesuppressior power strip is what we have our customers make sure is in place. But yet the card gets damaged and or switch and router. Perhaps there is somthing else that can be done?

Perhaps the power supply needs to be redesigned? I dont know

Anyone have any cheap yet good ideas they have been doing?

i find the power supplies to be very fragile… we have poor power here and the supplies are blowing all the time, yet all other kit PC’s phone chargers, wifi AP’s, etc… seem fine…

i find the power supplies to be very fragile... we have poor power here and the supplies are blowing all the time, yet all other kit PC's phone chargers, wifi AP's, etc... seem fine....

Hmm Strange I find it reversed where I am at. Most power supplys are fine but the nics are getting blown.

Just today I had to replace a network card in a pc because the onboard stoped working and wouldnt link. I also found out that a router is dead and the wan port is dead.

But yet the powr supplies are fine.

i would agree the power supply seem to be fine but lots of nic’s being blown up routers and nic cards

very frustrating

The canopy surge suppressors only have ground protection on the power over ethernet pins ( 4 - 5 , 7 - 8 ). There are surgre suppressors made by Transector that do have surge suppresson on the data pins as well. A little pricey, but I have had corperate clients with high end sonicwalls and cisco switches and routers that have went out due to lightning storms and static. I now make sure that I put one of these into all tower sites and high end corperate sites that I install.

It’s bad enough to have to replace an AP due to lightning, but I don’t need to also replace ’ configure a switch or router.

i have never seen a blown nic but have probably replaced 30-40 power supplies…interesting.

30-40… we get about 20 per month… its ridiculous… having said that adapter is easier to replace then a NIC…

we have power issues here… but I would have hoped the adapter to be a little more tolerent…

yea same here many nic’s have been replaced as well as routers and yes the wan usually is bad but most of the psu’s are ok. but i have still had several go bad.

but i am so broke i actually fix alot of the power supplies my self there hard to get apart but once you learn it becomes easy the only thing that goes bad in them usually is the thermal fuse like these

http://www.thermtrol.com/radial.htm

there behind the tape on the windings pretty easy to fix once you do a few i can do one in 10 min or so.

excellent… I think I got about 200 of them…

ac_babitzke

What model of surge supressor do you use from Transtector?

ALPU-Ort for the 30meg and up backhauls.
For tower clusters of canopy radios ALPU-MCEP part number 1101-670, handles up to 8 canopy radios.

Haven’t used the TSJ-24-POE, but from the looks of things it should work with the standard canopy gear as well, but I would double check first. :roll:

[quote=“ac_babitzke”]ALPU-Ort for the 30meg and up backhauls.
For tower clusters of canopy radios ALPU-MCEP part number 1101-670, handles up to 8 canopy radios.
/quote]

Remeber that those units require the use of STP, with the appropriate connectors in order to properly work.

In my mind STP Cat5 should be used at on all Cluster, and OMNI AP installations anyways, I have had fewer problems with it, and when working with the 30 meg plus backhauls I pretty sure that it says to use STP Cat5 anyways.

In my mind STP Cat5 should be used at on all Cluster, and OMNI AP installations anyways, I have had fewer problems with it, and when working with the 30 meg plus backhauls I pretty sure that it says to use STP Cat5 anyways.

sorry guys back on track about the ethernet ports blown

i have some people on ups systems at the power side and i am still getting ports that are blown.

does this mean that we are getting some kinda static build up coming in over the runs?

i personally think it is something to do with the power side but i have no way of proving it.

this is turning out to be very anoying and very costly.

well i can tell you this much the poe only sends voltage up to the sm there is no power going back into the nic from the psu. So if it coming from the psu it is having to go up to the sm and back down on a data line or something.

i am starting to lean more towards the antenna if its a yagi of course it could be picking up some static or something but truthfully these cheap 5 dollar nics and routers could just be junk i am gonna try a better quality nic that might have some more built in protection.

Try a Intel NIC. They seemed to be the best for us.

i am still thinking that with a big enough power surge that the poe is getting enough of a spike that it is inducing emf at the dongle and that is what is frying things,

wish i could prove it.

we get adapters in UPS that get blown…

back emf would definately induce a voltage… depends on tolerance circuitery of the kit…

tooslow i think your right just think how close those pins are together in the psu plug. a good surge could just jump right across the pins going back into the nic.

hum just for the heck of it i am going to cut off the psu from the connector and strip back the power wires to the sm and feed the sm’s power from outside the connector.

and we shall see cause i got one place that gets hit all the time.