Ethernet interfaces

With the 820s, I can't seem to definitively pin point this question: Can you run both twisted copper and fiber to the ODU and have the copper power the ODU only while using the fiber for data? I'm making the assumption that you can but would like to know 100% before buying. 

Also, does anyone have recommendations on outdoor fiber for tower use? Any premade solutions? Any help is appreciated.

Yes, you can power the PTP 820S with an Ethernet cable (ETH1/PoE) and use another port (either ETH2 or ETH3/EXT) with fiber for data!

I hope this helps!

Dave

no you can't. this is some of the incorrect information that suckered me into buying these things. Cambium, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to only allow use of the eth1(copper) and eth2(sfp). they have reserved eth3(sfp) for mimo use.

i too wanted to power the units via eth1 and use fiber on eth2 and eth3 for data running hundreds of feet to a router.

if i had known about this i would have never considered this product from cambium, i would have bought them from someone who doesn't have this limitation.

1 Like

I apologize for the confusion.

The PTP 820S has three Ethernet data ports and the PTP 820C has two Ethernet data ports.

Let me clarify:

820S

The PTP 820S has five ports: PWR, ETH1, ETH2, ETH3, and MGT.

PWR and/or ETH1 can be used to power the unit.

ETH1 is a copper RJ-45 interface, whilst ETH2 and ETH3 are SFP.

The PTP 820S can have up to three Ethernet interfaces for data. (The MGT port is used to manage the unit, although it can be mangaged via any of the Ethernet ports.)

820C

The PTP 820C has five ports: PWR, ETH1, ETH2, ETH3, and MGT.

PWR and/or ETH1 can be used to power the unit.

ETH1 is a copper RJ-45 interface, whilst ETH2 and ETH3 are SFP.

The PTP 820C can have up to two Ethernet interfaces for data: ETH1 and ETH2.

ETH3 is reserved for MIMO.

(The MGT port is used to manage the unit, although it can be mangaged via any of the Ethernet ports except ETH3.)

If you have PTP 820C applications that require three Ethernet data interfaces, please contact us, and we can provide a solution. (It probably involves taking a few units off the manufacturing line and swapping the SFP interface before it's shipped to you!)

I hope this helps!

Dave

so we pay more money - for higher capacity radios - so that we can pass more bandwidth through them - and we are given fewer interfaces to work with????????

I have contacted the PTP 820 product manager with your concerns.

I have also reached out to our sales organization--please expect a call shortly from one of our sales managers or sales engineers.

Please know that we are interested in helping you solve this problem.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Dave