Ethernet showing link, but red in color in GUI

We upgraded to 3.5.5 on a lot of cpe's the other day. I now have found 2 customers who have elevated radios that now will not work for the customer.

They have wireless connectivity. But, it seems no ethernet, or at least no dhcp server working on the radio to give the customer an IP.. In the home page, the Ethernet shows as linked at 100meg. But, is red in color. What is this? and why did it happen after a firmware upgrade...

1 Like

no one? Just dead I take it... Firmware upgrade kills radios now?? Good to know.

Seriously, Cambium_RayS you give me a kudo. For having a dead radio after an upgrade? Is this normal behavor?

This is why I don't like CAmbium support, or service.

Multiple threads where no one seems to care, or even respond.

Dead radios, settings that don't work, settings that break actual specifications of Ethernet, etc..

But, like most, stuck with this kind of garbage service.

Oh, but, the fanboys will flame me for this for sure.

Glad my truck rolls are no big deal to them.

@Tristan wrote:

This is why I don't like CAmbium support, or service.

Multiple threads where no one seems to care, or even respond.

Dead radios, settings that don't work, settings that break actual specifications of Ethernet, etc..

But, like most, stuck with this kind of garbage service.

Oh, but, the fanboys will flame me for this for sure.

Glad my truck rolls are no big deal to them.

they just released a new beta firmware with ethernet fixes in elevate radios listed.   see if that helps.  possibly written exactly for your situation. 

great to know.

We don't run beta in production. I stopped doing that when I left UBNT and their perpetual beta lifespan. 3.5.5 is the latest current and what we installed when elevating, and also just updating in general. Updates, are what is causing us major grief. They changed something, and it broke things.

@Tristan wrote:

great to know.

We don't run beta in production. I stopped doing that when I left UBNT and their perpetual beta lifespan. 3.5.5 is the latest current and what we installed when elevating, and also just updating in general. Updates, are what is causing us major grief. They changed something, and it broke things.

generally, i agree, beta in limited environments, but this is 3.5.6 which means its just a bug fix release (hopefully specifically the bug you are seeing) 

the elevate team has to deal with a lot of half backed hardware decisions from UBNT. if you look at all of the part revisions listed for the same hardware, i'm sure you'll see the complications they face. 

though it would be nice to never have a problem like this, unfortunately, they happen sometimes. much less than other vendors from my experience. I've been running PMP since all the way back from 8.x days, and epmp from 1.x days.  

as you run into failures with UBNT I'd suggest changing them to EPMP hardware (we've had hundreds of M2s just die for no reason (old age I guess?) of the thousand or so we had)  we swapped before elevate was here though, so I've got limited experience with the exception of the 20 or 30 we landed on remote pops.   our failure rate with EPMP CPEs has been a fraction of what we faced with the other brands thankfully. 

I can relate to half baked UBNT..

Still, if this is an issue they are working on. You would think someone could answer that. Or, instead of giving me a kudo on an issue, they can't say "hey, we might have a fix in the beta forum that we are working on". This lack of communitcation, and seemingly, caring, drives me nuts.

I do not come here to just talk. I'm not new to wireless, and have some idea how products should work. I get the same kind of responses when I try to open a ticket. ie, I asked about cnmaestro settings for remote configs. I get a link to the same thread on the fourm I have already read that doesn't make much sense at times. Not, here is how, but here is the link. Good luck.. Yeah, truck rolls again on that one.. even after trying it in the lab.. I ask about ethernet errors and ports turning red in the gui.. NOTHING.. The danged thing is linked at 100.. But, doesn't do anything.. So, truck roll. MULTIPLE truck rolls.  

I can only test so much in house. If they want to release something, it should work. Not totally break something that worked for a long time prior to this update. It reminds me of another company. That I left. Go figure.

@Tristan wrote:

I can relate to half baked UBNT..

Still, if this is an issue they are working on. You would think someone could answer that. Or, instead of giving me a kudo on an issue, they can't say "hey, we might have a fix in the beta forum that we are working on". This lack of communitcation, and seemingly, caring, drives me nuts.

I do not come here to just talk. I'm not new to wireless, and have some idea how products should work. I get the same kind of responses when I try to open a ticket. ie, I asked about cnmaestro settings for remote configs. I get a link to the same thread on the fourm I have already read that doesn't make much sense at times. Not, here is how, but here is the link. Good luck.. Yeah, truck rolls again on that one.. even after trying it in the lab.. I ask about ethernet errors and ports turning red in the gui.. NOTHING.. The danged thing is linked at 100.. But, doesn't do anything.. So, truck roll. MULTIPLE truck rolls.  

I can only test so much in house. If they want to release something, it should work. Not totally break something that worked for a long time prior to this update. It reminds me of another company. That I left. Go figure.

completely get your frustration, Ray isn't a tech guy though, I'm sure he kudo'd your post for finding and reporting the problem.   Ray is a great resource, and I'm sure he sent this to whoever needed to see it, and response just hasn't happened yet. 

again, the UBNT hardware itself has changed a lot. they have fixed a problem in another device, then inadvertently broke the ethernet driver in your hardware.     if you've got a common exact piece of hardware that's doing this, it may be time for an offline discussion with cambium about it.  maybe something they haven't run into in the lab for whatever reason.  the ubnt hardware is literally dozens of revisions.   if its the same radio maybe time to swap it out to save yourself headaches.   

are you planning on moving over the all cambium hardware as these die or what is your game plan?

we've got a flat policy of pull when touched when we come across elevated radios for our headache sake (the random death of the hardware itself on the M gear) 

For sure, we are replacing with Cambium when they die.

But, we still have lots of sites I'd like to elevate as we can.

I've been trying to get all our radios up to more current/single firmwares so we are at a proper level for security and any other issues that might be buried in older firmwares. As I did this, we had radios stop working. Then we elevated one sector with about 10 elevated radios on it, and a couple of them died. Most of this in the same week, because we were trying to be prudent in upgrading prior to elevating in hopes it went well. Couple that with every single Cambium radio (10 in that sector) not switching to TDD modes via cnmaestro during an elevate process, and the whole thing was a cluster "eff". 

It's beyond agrevating when you try to do things properly in the lab. And upgrade like you should, etc.. Only to have the whole thing fall apart. And yeah, in part I blame Cambium for their lack of trying to help us make sure it went well. Questions like the cnmaestro settings for wifi to TDD modes in a template... Should have been one line, maybe two in json.. Nope. Here is the link to figure it out for yourself.. Yeah, worked on the bench, not sure why it didn't in production.. The radios were just stuck. Not in TDD like configured, and I wasn't able to login to them when I switched the ap to wifi modes to try and recover them either. They associated, but I couldn't move traffic. (cambiums wifi modes on their epmp line is total garbage and worse than UBNT's that at least works) And I did try every wifi mode cambium offers to no avail..

All this stuff takes time. Time a little two man shop that covers 1900 square miles doesn't have. We blew a whole day trying to elevate one sector. Plus the other radios that just quit before, and now still, after the upgrades it seems. Cambium wants a premium for elevate, a premium to have an ap accept more than 10 clients.. But, failure like this are no big deal to them it seems. A $550 AP, and another 10 elevate licenses IS a big deal to me to have failures like this.

And I know you aren't Cambium, etc.. So, I'm not griping towards you. It's just frustraiting as hell. You have their sales team going to "shows" and telling you to open tickets. write things on forums so they can see these things. And then it doesn't matter, ONE.BIT. Silence.. Birds chirping, etc.. Oh, and lets not forget the ethernet port issue I found,and others, have found with no response yet as well...