Extending a network 2 hops with a SM-AP-SM configuration.

I have a senario where I need to get network access to a building 1.5 miles away. My problem is that the 2 buildings do not have LOS. I do however have access to a silo on the hill directly between these two sites.

I have 2 Canopy 5.2 SMs and a 5.2 AP with an Omni antenna from a previous project that used to supply two outbuildings with network access from a main building.

My thought is to place a SM on building #1, the AP on the Silo, and the other SM on building #2. Before I do some climbing, is this a worthwhile solution to explore? What type of performance could I expect, and are there any special settings to keep in mind? The SMs are running version 7.1.4, and the AP is running version 7.2.9. (one additional note: building #1 is about 1.2 miles away from the silo, and building 2 is about 1200 ft from the silo.)

My final question is about authentication. How do I prevent someone else from putting up a 5.2 SM and registering to my AP without running BAM?

Thanks in Advance,

Nathan

Assuming that we are talkin about normal gears (NOT Advantage), you will have to set Downlink Data 50% on the AP (configuration -> radio).
So you will get maximum 3.5 Mbps symmetric from SM to SM.

About authentication, unfortunately there is no way to protect your network without using BAM and enabling authentication.
You should use some kind of tunnel and end-to-end encryption (e.g. two routers wired to SMs).

Ciao
Massimo

You would have 1.5Mbps simetric link.
once you have instaled all, hide the ap so no one can see it thru ap-evaldata

This is not Advantage gear. I believe I would have 3.5 in both directions using the 50% Downlink Data setting. Is that correct?

Thanks again,

Nathan

I ran the same type setup on 5.7 advantage gear, and it worked fine for me. I did set the rates to meet my needs on download vs upload.

My suggestion:

Put up the AP w/ a color code on it (so that no other SM’s will register to that AP unless they have the same color code set).

Then just hide AP Evaluation Data and no one should be able to see your color codes - so you should be in good shape.

I’m not really familiar with non-advantage Canopy as we didn’t start until after Advantage…but I would assume they still have color codes?

Chas wrote:
I'm not really familiar with non-advantage Canopy as we didn't start until after Advantage...but I would assume they still have color codes?

Yes, they do have color codes.
Advantage firmware is almost identical (apart from few options, like "enable 2X").
Changing color could be better than nothing, but I would really appreciate a simple key option (something like wep key). I believe it would be trivial for Motorola but... you know... who will buy Prizm?
Relating to the maximum bandwidth, actually moinavery is right if you use full-duplex but in one direction the maximum speed can achieve 3.5 MBps.

Ciao
Massimo

I got the equipment all set up this past weekend. I am happy that the latency appears to be in the 40ms range, but unhappy that the maximum throughput seems to be 1.5mbs. I have the AP configured with a downlink data = 50%. I have each SM configured for 3500 up and 3500 down. Shouldn’t I be able to pass 3.5 Mbps through this thing? Could somebody explain?

Thanks,

nathan

Did you do a spectrum analysis to make sure you are on the cleanest frequency?

What is the link test between the AP and the two SM’s?

What is the signal level at the AP for the two SM’s and at each SM?

What is the speed set to in the AP (should be wide open).

Hi Jerry,

-The 5.2 Spectrum is completely clean where I have this equipment located, so I have the choice of frequency within the limits of the 5.2 gear.

-The link test on both SMs are reporting 99-100% efficiency. Here are the speeds.
SM#1 Downlink RATE: 3250176 bps, Uplink RATE: 1793280 bps
SM#2 Downlink RATE: 3250176 bps, Uplink RATE: 1797376 bps

-SM#1 RSSI (Avg/Last): 731/743 Jitter (Avg/Last): 2/2 Power Level (Avg/Last): -74/-74

SM#2 RSSI (Avg/Last): 880/876 Jitter (Avg/Last): 1/1 Power Level (Avg/Last): -66/-67

- The speed on the AP is set to wide open.

It appears to me as though the equipment is “hard limited” to 1.5mbps up. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Nathan

What version of SW is on these?

Should be 7.3.6 on all three units.

Hi Jerry,

The SMs are running version 7.1.4, and the AP is running version 7.2.9. Did they make a change in the code for these that would have an effect on this? Is there anyway of getting a newer version of the code for these, as I do not have support on them.

Thanks,

Nathan

Does anybody know how I can get a copy of the 7.3.6 software?

Thanks,

Nathan

scheunna wrote:
My final question is about authentication. How do I prevent someone else from putting up a 5.2 SM and registering to my AP without running BAM?

You could select Disable SM Display of AP Eval Data

If you’re not using something to prevent registration to the radio, then you must firewall at both ends. You’ll still be vulnerable to someone else registering and seeing your data unless you also VPN tunnel across the connection. If security is at all important, you’ll need to behave as if it’s wide open, because without BAM/PRIZM, it practically is.