extending network

hello.

i want to extend my network to an area overlooking a valley with about 40 potential customers. I dont want to invest in a new tower because a home overlooking the valley said they dont mind if i install an access point on their home to give access to the people below. How would i go about doing this? Im fairly new to the epmp gear.

Correct me if im worng. but would i be able to use 2 force ptps and a connectorized radio as an access point? If so, how would i hook them up? Is there a certain switch i would need to use and would they need to be gps synced? They currently cant see my tower at all so i figured they can use a different frequency but ive never done this before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, 

To connect the Force PTP and the connectorized access point, you can use a low cost switch or simply connect the data ports of the two power bricks. Its as simple as that. But you can make the choice on how much control you need and add in managed switches, routers etc. If you are able to use different frequencies then you don't need to sync them. Just make sure the guard band is at least 2X the channel bandwidth you are using on the radio. For example, if you are using a 20 MHz channel, you should use at least 40 MHz of guard band between the PTP link and the AP. 

Also if you are not sync'ing (because you can use two different frequencies), I recommend you use Flexible mode on the Access Point and use ePTP mode (ePTP Master and ePTP Slave) on the PTP link. 

Good luck!

Thanks,

Sriram

Wow that makes it sound so simple. Thank you.

When using a connectorised unit, is there a limit to how many customers can connect to it if its not GPS synced?

@geraldthunder wrote:

Wow that makes it sound so simple. Thank you.

When using a connectorised unit, is there a limit to how many customers can connect to it if its not GPS synced?

The limit is not governed by GPS sync. The limit is as follows:

20/40 MHz: 120 

10 MHz: 60

5 MHz: 30

Thanks,

Sriram