FCC to extend existing Part 90 licenses past April 17, 2020?

I saw this on the WISPA website, but haven't seen anything official from the FCC.  Has their been confirmation?

http://wispa.org/news_manager.php?page=21676

Washington, DC, March 19, 2020 – Today, the FCC announced it will grant WISPA’s blanket waiver requesting additional time for 3.65 GHz licensees to transition their operations to Part 96 Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS).  As a result, the prior deadline of April 17, 2020, has been pushed back to October 17, 2020, giving licensees six more months to make the transition.

Any thoughts on how this will impact the existing GAA spectrum when PALs come about in June 2020?  Seems like the GAA spectrum is going to become very crowded until these licenses expire...

Apparently the PAL auction has been delayed a bit as well. I wonder how long carriers will take to deploy on CBRS and actually use their PAL(s). To give an example, I spoke with a T-Mobile tech recently that said that they were very focused on deploying on 2.5GHz and when I asked about CBRS he said there's been no talk of it. I think we'll see some carriers buy up PAL's in metro areas, and then just sit on them for awhile. This leaves WISP's time to transition out of 3.65 and start using GAA, and I bet there will be plenty of GAA available in rural areas to go around. My two cents.

ALSO, nice to see you're still alive Chris!

3 Likes