Field Laptop

bought the EEEPC 4GB version. What a great buy for 400 bucks,

I was thinking the Asus is the ideal laptop for roof installations.
It seems to be light, rugged and cheap enough.
Please let us know you impressions…

Ciao
Massimo

wow. with a 7" screen?

AMDXtreme wrote:
wow. with a 7" screen?

Do you think it's impossible to configure a Canopy with a 7" screen?
I managed with my Nokia E61 (2") :lol: it was an emergency but I did...

I’m pretty impressed with this little guy. Well built and the 800x480 screen is fine. I’ll trade the weight.

The Linux install was a joke, but with WinXP it’s a pretty decent tool. I should have done a light installation as I have already used 3GB of the 4GB. No biggie though, I am going to get a 16GB SD card that I’ll leave in there as an additional drive.

When the larger memory chips are available I’ll upgrade the main memory assuming there is a hack to copy the entire OS intact from one chip to the other.

Installation of the OS can be done with an SD card and a USB stick. I chose to go pick up a USB CD/DVD R/W as I needed one for another computer anyway.

There are hacks to install a bluetooth adapter, and 16GB SD card internally but I’m not that ambitious. I need it as a tool and I don’t generally hack my tools.

Found a great little program called WMWiFiRouter that turns my WM6 phone into a wireless router. It automatically connects to 3G and allows my laptop to connect via WiFi. Better range than the Bluetooth and seems faster.

I am personally going to try a NEC Mobilepro 900c as soon as it comes in. Found one on Ebay. Very small laptop with a 640*240 screen. Full size keyboard.

The less baggage to carry on the roof the better. I nearly killed myself with a full size dell going up a ladder. Never again.

jakkwb wrote:
I am personally going to try a NEC Mobilepro 900c as soon as it comes in. Found one on Ebay. Very small laptop with a 640*240 screen. Full size keyboard.

Nice sublaptop, but unfortunately doesn't run Windows Xp or Linux, and the weigth is more or less similar (0.8 vs 0.9 kg).
On the Asus you can install CNUT and other useful tools...

I just needed a small laptop that would allow me to check and config the radio. I run CNUT from the office once I get a usable signal.

Price was the major factor (right now, anyway)