Firmware Update via HTTP

I work with a ton of Cisco gear and they’ve got to have one of the most difficult configurations around but…

I can update the firmware through the browser. Click update, locate the files on my machine and voila! It sends all the appropriate files where they need to go and updates automatically and then auto reboots.

I’m sure there’d be a lot less Canopy “paperweights” out there if this were the case. :lol:

Amen to that!! :smiley:

That would be great. Now, I’ve done a lot of upgrades on these radios and I’m pretty quick at it now, but it would still be nice to see.

Aaron

Have either of you tried updating with the Canopy Network Update Tool (CNUT)?

Ummm… nope. Not yet. Gonna try to do the 4.2.3 update next week.

I would vote for a web page update utility too. The CNUT isnt that great because it cant update a single unit that it auto-discovers. Also the unit has to be in deployment instead of just hooked up to the stand alone computer.

I could come up with a few other circumstances where a web page would be very useful:
When a unit wont register on the network but needs to be updated.
When an installer has a unit that isnt pre updated at the office and needs to be updated in the field.
Would also make updating units in the office much easier.

So, uhh…

If I understand correctly, CNUT can’t update SM’s that aren’t registered? Seems kinda silly to me. Do the updates get distributed by the AP’s then? (obviously I haven’t read a single thing about the CNUT :smiley: )

Thanks.

Aaron

You have to manually add the SM to the CNUT interface for it to be able to update it individually. I have never tried to go through the lan interface to update it because of our network setup. It might be possible, but its still almost as many steps I think.

Yup, a point and click step would be nice when you have a large network to do.

You can update the units through the AP’s. Although I dont understand it, some units that are 4.2.1 do not want to register to the AP until they are updated to 4.2.3. Which makes updating them through the ap impossible. Since its more complicated one of our network guys…like me…has to go out there to update them manually. If there was a simple button to click on the laptop our installers could update them very easily.

So you’re saying that when I do the 4.2.3 upgrade to start at the far end because I could lose connectiviy to my SM’s if they aren’t done first?

Figures. Oh well, I always startat the far end anyway. :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Forgot to metion, part of our network is very remote. A long drive to get there.

Aaron

Yes starting at the far end is usually (99.99999%) best :slight_smile:

Matt

Canopy_Support wrote:
Have either of you tried updating with the Canopy Network Update Tool (CNUT)?

Well, being a two-radio guy for years, I am new to the Canopy line of
products. My experience with them was about 1.5 years ago when I installed three 20mb BH links...

I really don't want to learn a new piece of software if I don't have to.

My crew of 6 techs maintains and repairs over 8,000 different pieces of equipment from radios, repeaters, cameras, remote overhead cranes, access control, wlan, microwave systems, phones and others too numerous to list. I simply don't have the time to learn CNUT.

I bought Ekahau Site Survey 2.1 a few months back, but just recently had the chance to use it...

Now, we have about two-dozen Canopy units in service with at least another 28 coming online in the next few months.

We're not a wisp, we're one of the world's largest copper mines and we're
using Canopy for our in-pit wireless network and for proccess water PLC
operation.

I already have numerous Cisco APs in service that I have to constantly
maintain and update.

Here's what I want.

I want the software on the AP to do all the work for me. I don't want to load
yet another slow and clunky java app on my machine and then have to configure it. With Cisco, you load one AP up with the new firmware and then you tell it to go out and update all others on the network with the same credentials.

All done from one AP web interface.

If Cisco can do it on a $750 Enterprise-class AP, certainly the powers at Motorola could do the same. :lol:

Please? Pretty please? :mrgreen:

I will gather all the points on this topic and put them in as a feature request. Thanks for the input.