FM and canopy

How well would a 900mhz canopy cluster work mounted 10 feet above a FM antenna broadcast? Would the FM interfere with the equipment? dont know many of the specs of the FM except that it has to be turned off for a human to climb the tower.

Thanks,
Matt

We have the same situation. A local radio station has a boradcast antenna on one of our towers we are planning to add Canopy to. The transmitter isputting out approx 400 W and the ERP from the antenna is somewhere around 8 to 10 thousand W. Only Sundays can we turn of the transmitter (low advertising times).

We will, however, be mounting our cluster around 50 feet above the FM antenna. I am unsure yet what the result will be.

Aaron

Could ya let me know how it goes?

You bet, probably won’t be for a couple weeks though. At least I hope it’s not longer than that before I get to it.

Aaron

mattmann72 wrote:
How well would a 900mhz canopy cluster work mounted 10 feet above a FM antenna broadcast? Would the FM interfere with the equipment? dont know many of the specs of the FM except that it has to be turned off for a human to climb the tower.

Thanks,
Matt

Donno about the 10ft margin. Were on an FM tower and an AM. The FM is a breeze. The AM is a biyatch as the tower has 10,000 watts on it and we had to do crazy stuff with RF chokes just to power up the gear. We are about 40 ft from the FM gear and have used many types of 900MHZ stuff over the last 3 years without a problem.

Tim

Ive noticed a lot of radio stations also seem to use a 949 MHZ antenna (looks like a yellow lawn chair) to broadcast their signal up to the tower. Does that seem to affect the 900 stuff? Also do you know what kinda power that FM broadcast is putting out?

Thanks

Matt

Our case is that the broadcast booth is in the same building as our shop. They have a 900 Mhz (not sure of exact freq) link up to that particular tower (approx 22 km and 1500 ft elevation change). They are using a radome enclosed yagi on each end. I suppose I’ll find out soon if that will cause us problems.

400 watts out and 1kw erp aren’t anything big. Most paging transmitters you find on towers will be in that range. I don’t know anybody who turns them off to climb a tower.
Vertical separation is very very good- the more the better. 10ft doesn’t sound like very much.

Just joking…

Aaron