Force 180 just under the tower

Hello,

I have a tower which is very very close to a client (about 8 meters).

Unfortunately I can't use a cable, so I used a Force 180.

I have -38 as received signal (tx signal is ok thanks to ATPC), and I can't lower TX Power on the AP because is serving also far clients, and I don't want to add an AP only for this user.

I can't connect him on a far tower because he has LOS only to this tower.

The service is good and I have MCS 15 both on upload and download, but my question is: is -38 too much? Will it damage the Force 180?

Thank you!

It should be fine.  If you are still concerned you can always install the unit indoors for added attenuation.

1 Like

Can you lower the gain on the SM side?  Under the  Configuration tab on the side menu, select radio sub menu there should be power control where you can dictate the gain on the SM.

The gain is only a value the Force uses to calculate the EIRP, it's not possible to lower the gain without an hardware change... I think :-D

How about changing the Max Tx Power setting to manual? That should allow you to lower your signal to a desired level and not sacrifice your gain. My company has found -45dbm to be our happy spot without overpowering the AP or SM.

Hi Giuseppe,

You can deploy ePMP integrated SM unit for that location, it will decrease DL RSSI -3dBm, because of lower antenna gain.

Thank you.

1 Like

@sherwoodj28 wrote:

Can you lower the gain on the SM side?  Under the  Configuration tab on the side menu, select radio sub menu there should be power control where you can dictate the gain on the SM.

gain can never be lowered by a setting.  its a physical measurement of the antennas performance in the band.     moving the radio inside the attic should provide 10 points of attenuation and get you to 45 to 50 db.    be aware though, if you have heavy snow on the roof, your attenuation will increase further.     a few inches won't hurt, but feet could be a problem depending on where you are. 

you could also use a connectorized 5ghz radio and put tiny dipole antennas on it, little 3db fellas would drop your signal 13 points. 

but 38 won't break a radio.  so no need to worry about.   

3 Likes