Frame Size in Flexible Frame Mode?

When configuring a non-GPS AP, the frame size remains an option (2.5ms or 5 ms) even when flexible frame mode is selected. Is the frame size parameter somehow applicable when flexible frame mode is selected?

Thanks, Chris

Hello,

Yes, it is still applicable. Frame size is the full duration of a DL and an UL cycle. Even in flexible mode, you still have a frame. But the DL to UL ratio becomes adjustable or "flexible", depending on the traffic demands.

Regards

Is there any reason not to use a 2.5ms frame size at this point? Are there any downsides?

With 2.5ms, you may see a slight degradation in throughput in some configurations, as compared to 5ms. We are constantly looking for ways to optimize performance of the product line and address any shortcomings, though.

Regards

I changed one of my flexible frame non-GPS APs from 5 ms to 2.5 ms tonight. The GUI did not request a reboot, but I restarted from inside the GUI anyhow. Average ping time was 6 ms either way. Should I see lower ping times when switching to 2.5 ms in flexible frame mode?

1 Like

Yes, you should.

Regards

Hello uberdome,

It looks like I was wrong in my previous post. When flexible scheduler is selected, internally, the radio is still using a 5ms frame, independently of what is selected in the GUI. There is no current implementation using 2.5ms frame and flexible scheduler, only 5ms and flexible scheduler. This needs to be addressed in the GUI, as it currently gives the impression frame duration is selectable even in Flexible mode.

I apologize for the misinformation.

Regards,

Luis

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Hello

in 3.0.1 that glitch is still not solved.

if it is in flexibile mode, the 5ms should be grayed out and fixed :)