Frequency

Hi,

Is there any disadvantage if i check all the frequency in “Custom RF Frequency Scan Selection List”

I have several links on 24575, the interference is horrible, ping from SM+R to AP around 500ms without any load. Jitter 1-2 and RSSI 1000++

Any ideas?

regards,

I have had instances where an SM will try and register to another AP that it shouldnt be. That will cause the customers SM to re-reg and go down, then come right back up.

It is best to lock it onto one AP FREQ. Make sure it is registered to the right AP to begin with and lock it in.

From what I understand is haveing other freqs checked makes no difference. The SM will only try to connect to the color Code specified in the unit. I have tested this some and it seems to be the case, any others have input on this?

we program our AP clusters with 1 color code for the 6 aps. Less confusing that way.

We have 18 AP Towers… having each individual AP with a different color code would get confusing over time.

The way we have it set up the SM does ahve a chance to rereg to a different (wrong) AP. That is why when we install we lock it down to the correct AP 2 ways:

1. See what the SM sees as best and it registers to.
2. Location from AP that the SM sits.

This determines the AP that the SM needs to be on.

try and tick on the freq you use and see if u get any difference.

the only downfall of selecting single freq is when we have interference on that and the SM dissapears u need to have a truck roll.

do a spectrum scan to see whats there, this should help.

As mentioned the first thing is to flip the AP to an SM and use it to do an RF spectrum analysis. Make note of the average noise level in your area.

Assuming that you are on the quietest channel, you need to look at the SM and see what the RF level is. If it’s not at least -78dB or +10dB above the noise floor (IE noise floor is -82dB, you need -72dB signal level) , you need more gain. If you have no reflector, add one. If you have a reflector you can upgrade it to a 26dB grid from Pac Wireless. We get them from Streakwave.

Assuming that the above is OK, then look at the SM ethernet stats page and see if the outoctets are higher than the inoctets. This usually indicates spew and can make ping times erratic. customer will interpret the virus activity as a bad connection. Have them disconnect the PC or router from the SM and then try pinging the SM. If the ping times are good then there is your answer.

From what I understand is haveing other freqs checked makes no difference. The SM will only try to connect to the color Code specified in the unit. I have tested this some and it seems to be the case, any others have input on this?

It makes a difference, because when the SM is in Scan Mode, it is going to check every Freq that you have selected, in order, until it finds a corresponding transmitter. My guess is that once the SM finds a transmitter, it then has to go through some type of handshake process, where the comparison of the Color Codes is made. Unless of course the AP transmits its Color Code information in every single transmission, but I don't think this would be the case. I think the units handshake first, but I could be wrong.
Jerry Richardson wrote:
As mentioned the first thing is to flip the AP to an SM and use it to do an RF spectrum analysis. Make note of the average noise level in your area.

Assuming that you are on the quietest channel, you need to look at the SM and see what the RF level is. If it's not at least -78dB or +10dB above the noise floor (IE noise floor is -82dB, you need -72dB signal level) , you need more gain. If you have no reflector, add one. If you have a reflector you can upgrade it to a 26dB grid from Pac Wireless. We get them from Streakwave.

Assuming that the above is OK, then look at the SM ethernet stats page and see if the outoctets are higher than the inoctets. This usually indicates spew and can make ping times erratic. customer will interpret the virus activity as a bad connection. Have them disconnect the PC or router from the SM and then try pinging the SM. If the ping times are good then there is your answer.

26dB grid from Pac Wireless look like ordinary 24db Grid with modification, suppose we can do it too. :)

For the last step you suggested, we've already did that. we put the radio straight into our notebook, than try to ping the AP, and we get 500ms++ ping time. the Jitter 2-3 but sometimes 8-16 when we hit the refresh button, and the RSSI always 1000++.
From the AP session, this SM showed jitter 1-4 with RSSI 1300+

Is this inteference? becuase this SM is located in the middle of jungle, where Senao, Smartbridges is injected by 2-5watt amp from hyperlink :P (thats why we want canopy add more option in Output Power such as: Low, Normal, Extreme)

Yes, interference…they are killing you with that amp. See if they will move it all the way to one end of the spectrum, and then put your Canopy AP at the other end. This will benefit you both.

the grid from Pac wireless is just a reflector, not an antenna. I am sure you could convert a 24dB grid antenna for the same use. If you put the SM right where the pickup is that should be the focal point.

Jerry,

Lets say, I decide to build another POPs near/in the middle of “jungle” area. will this fix my problem? I mean all my SM will have stronger signal because the AP is <2miles [I guess i only need 1 AP at this site)

Will my ping time back to normal? or better to put SM+ 24dB grid antena?

Or must i buy taiwanese 15db Omni + 10Watt of hyperlink ampli and turn it on, and kill everyone in 2.4ghz area? (except my canopy freq). :roll:

Getting closer to your end users will help.

2.4 still does not get through trees very well, and it a pretty crowded spectrum. If I was going to spend $ for another POP, I would go 900MHz, especially because of the NLOS performance.

I don’t know if your Canopy AP is going to work with an amplifier, and adding yet more noise to the spectrum isn’t going to help matters.

So there is a grid reflector out there that offers +2 more db than the standard Motorola reflector?

The 5.7 link at my house shoots through trees to our tower. The fall and winter months are fine, but its that time of year again and my SM is reporting -86db in received power, right on the threshold! Magically my link tests are still 90%+ in both directions.

I wish I could get my hands on the 5.7 connectorized gear only offered in the UK.

mnet wrote:
Hi,

Is there any disadvantage if i check all the frequency in "Custom RF Frequency Scan Selection List"

There is a slight disadvantage in that it does slightly increase the time of the registration process. (however this is probably not recognizable)

Also, you might see "old beacon format" numbers increasing if you have all frequencies selected (this is prevalent in 2.4 GHz). By eliminating all frequencies except those needed you will probably see this number stop increasing.
1 Like

Damn…

The interference come to my other AP, which is on freq 2415

The jitter is up and down… :x from 2/3 to 12/13 from AP session page.

Last time i move from freq 2575 to 2525. and now it happened again to freq 2415.

So what is the suggested freq except 2415,2435,24575 ?

Badly need help here…

Moving the freq around is not the solution…maybe canopy support must take this issue seriously…

I would buy AP for $40.000 each, if it can overcome this situation (like the one who said in this forum)

This is the bad thing about open freq. anyone can use them. Jerry may have the best solution. go to 900 mhz.

I have done this before with some success. Check for the cleanest Freq. at your ap site.

Turn on the transmit framing in the ap. Pick several sm in the area and start transmiting data to them at a high rate. This may cause the other guy to change to a cleaner freq and leave you alone for awhile

no, we cant touch that freq (900mhz), the gsm company will put me in jail :slight_smile:

dont know if gsm use 900/1800 or 800/1800mhz freq.

I’ve try to put the sm + 24dbi, and its working smoothly, at least from jungle area the ping from sm to ap is around 22-70ms

I wonder using equinox 30dbi, will it better for our canopy.
i love this country :wink:
i guess maybe someday 2.4ghz freq will totally jammed, and no one can use it anymore (suppose rightnow is on its way…).

I hope canopy support can answer this issue, especially interference problems, or by adding sofware switch horizontal / vertical polarization like trango did.