FSK Advantage vs Non Advantage

Hello all,

We have a tower that was built with all 2.4 advantage ap’s awhile back. I need to replace an AP on the tower and I am curious if we have to replace it with advantage ap again. All of my subs on this tower are running non-advanage cpe’s and I believe I can set 2X mode within a regular P9 or better AP (non advantage)

Can I just replace with a regular non-advantage ap? Assuming we are not using advange features at all on this tower would this non advantage AP mess up the timing of the other advantage ap’s?

Thanks!

You can replace it with a non-advantage AP. The timing will not be affected. What will be affected is the throughput for the users connecting to non-advantage AP. Non-advantage radios will max out at 7Mbps, while an advantage-AP will max out at 14Mbps. You state that your SMs are non-advantage, so this throughput should not be an issue.

Thank you for the reply. This is where I get confused. When I think of “advantage” I think of 2X mode is this correct? I thought I had some AP’s out there that were non advantage but still allowed me to set to 2X mode but I could not find any. I assume that in order to get a 7 meg aggregate I have to be in 2X correct? All my CPE’s say “non-advantage” but allow for me to set to 2X mode. So I would assume I could find a non-advantage that can set to 2X ? All of the ones I have seen let me select 1X only. This has been a mix of P9, P10 boards.

admin wrote:
You can replace it with a non-advantage AP. The timing will not be affected. What will be affected is the throughput for the users connecting to non-advantage AP. Non-advantage radios will max out at 7Mbps, while an advantage-AP will max out at 14Mbps. You state that your SMs are non-advantage, so this throughput should not be an issue.