FW 11.2 PMP 100 5.7Ghz Problems.

Hello,
We have a network with 3 clusters and 300 clients on PMP 100 5.7Ghz. Due to support issues, we needed to upgrade the APs and SMs to FW 11.2 to be able to migrate from Prizm to Wireless Mannager, as it is a pre-requisite. We had a mix of various FW running, like 8.1.7, 8.2, 9.4.1 and 9.5 on P10 and P11 HW.
We updated almost all SM FW to 11.2 (the offline ones remained) and because the high number of 8.1.7 SM, we didn’t upgraded the APs to 11.2 (AP with FW 11.2 doesn’t “see” 8.1.7 SM). It’s been 3 weeks now, and many (80%) clients having issues - bad signal quality (power under -75dbm, jitter allways > 3), even clients less than 1 mile away. I upgraded some AP’s to 11.2, but problems remained, and now even downgrading SMs to earlier FW verions, nothing improoved.
Any sugestions??

What upgrade path did you use to update the SM’s?

smwtech wrote:
What upgrade path did you use to update the SM's?

This is important. Also if your clusters are within reasonable proximity you must upgrade all units at once. There are timing changes from 8.x -> 9.x, and 9.x -> 10.x. Any radios running firmware that wide of a spread are essentially interfering as they are no longer able to synchronize properly with any other unit.
smwtech wrote:
What upgrade path did you use to update the SM's?

what u mean by upgrade path?
if u mean the FW file, it was CANOPY112BUILDOFFICIAL_DES.pkg3
I´ve tryied every thing by now, all the SMs and APs on the cluster are in the same version (11.2), changed control slots values, DL/UL rate, upgraded CMM micro to v3.1 (it was 2.2).
I noticed that SMs on sector 1 and 6 keep loosing connection, all the same time, it's weird because if it was an AP hardware problem, it wouldn't happen with both sectors in the same time. Could the problem be on cmm?
daniel.arabori wrote:
[quote="smwtech":poo12p3h]What upgrade path did you use to update the SM's?

what u mean by upgrade path?
if u mean the FW file, it was CANOPY112BUILDOFFICIAL_DES.pkg3
I´ve tryied every thing by now, all the SMs and APs on the cluster are in the same version (11.2), changed control slots values, DL/UL rate, upgraded CMM micro to v3.1 (it was 2.2).
I noticed that SMs on sector 1 and 6 keep loosing connection, all the same time, it's weird because if it was an AP hardware problem, it wouldn't happen with both sectors in the same time. Could the problem be on cmm?[/quote:poo12p3h]
daniel.arabori wrote:
Hello,
We have a network with 3 clusters and 300 clients on PMP 100 5.7Ghz. Due to support issues, we needed to upgrade the APs and SMs to FW 11.2 to be able to migrate from Prizm to Wireless Mannager, as it is a pre-requisite. We had a mix of various FW running, like 8.1.7, 8.2, 9.4.1 and 9.5 on P10 and P11 HW.
We updated almost all SM FW to 11.2 (the offline ones remained) and because the high number of 8.1.7 SM, we didn't upgraded the APs to 11.2 (AP with FW 11.2 doesn't "see" 8.1.7 SM). It's been 3 weeks now, and many (80%) clients having issues - bad signal quality (power under -75dbm, jitter allways > 3), even clients less than 1 mile away. I upgraded some AP's to 11.2, but problems remained, and now even downgrading SMs to earlier FW verions, nothing improoved.
Any sugestions??

What I mean by upgrade path is did you update them in a particular order, or did you upgrade them all straight to 11.2? If you tried to upgrade straight from 8.1.7 and such to 11.2 directly, without going through the other packages than that is your problem. I'm not sure if you can roll back the firmware to the original version and redo it without causing further problems.

The upgrade path I've used is this:
7.0.7->7.2.9->7.3.6->8.1.5.1->8.2.7->9.0->9.3->9.4->9.4.2->9.5->10.3->10.3.2->10.4->10.5->11.2

hum… maybe that’s the problem then… i’ve upgraded directly to v11.2, independent of wich version the SM was.
I’ll try to roll back, but the oldes FW avaiable for download is v9.5.
Would u mind sharing oder FWs?
Thanx, and i hope everything works

I don’t have them any more. The oldest one I have now is 9.5.

Also, going back too much farther than 8.2.7 you are going to need CNUT2 also, since they were .pkg2 files and the newer ones are .pkg3

That detailed of an upgrade path isn’t necessary, someone from Motorola a while back provided an upgrade path that showed where the major changes occurred (as opposed to minor maintenance releases). For example I think it went something like 8.2.7 -> 9.0 -> 9.5 -> 10.2 -> 10.5 -> 11.0 -> 11.2. Not sure where that went but you definitely don’t need to do each released version.

Which software images are you looking for? I went digging about and found back to 6.1. Send me an email and I think I might be able to get them up somewhere for you to grab.

The upgrade path I used comes out of the release notes for each version, and it usually tells me which ones I can skip.

@smwtach and salad:
thanx, I got the firmwares from Cambium Support, they are very fast in answering.
they provided the correct path for upgrade, in the case some one needs besides me: 8.1.5.1 -> 8.2.7 -> 9.0 -> 9.5 -> 10.3.2 -> 10.5 -> 11.2
if someone needs the firmwares, just contact me.

smwtech, there are .pkg3 versions of all these firmwares, I didn’t try yet to downgrade, but since it’s .pkg3, should work on cnut 4 / prizm 3.3

I just think is going to be a lot of work do all the upgrades one by one, isn’t there a way to tell cnut/prizm to do it one by one automaticaly?

thanx u all, i’m glad there are many people here involved trying to help other users.

wish some day I can help too

Yup if you have Prizm it will handle PKG2 and PKG3 files.

if you want to do a staged upgrade across the board make use of the custom views feature:

Network -> Open a View -> New

Where it says “No Criteria Specified” click, in the “Select Elements” window click on the “No Criteria Specified” again, then you can choose to search for PMP 100 SMs (or any type) where the Element Attribute of “Software Version” is or isn’t what you want. This should match exactly what Prizm sees in the radio. So if you use the equal operator you must type “CANOPY 10.5 SM-DES”. If you use the ~ operator this functions like an inclusive search that allows wildcards. So you could specify “CANOPY 10.5 %” to select everything on 10.5 or “CANOPY 10.%” to find everything on 10.x etc. The ! operator acts as an exclude, so Software Version !~ “CANOPY 11.2%” will return radios that are not running 11.2. Then you can check elements to upgrade. You can use the same idea to make scheduled tasks, too.