getting weird interference problems

Hi all, we are having an issue with a 2.4 SM customer. Initially we were unalble to give him service because we could not get a reliable signal even though we could see the mountain top plain as day and have customers past this guy who have no problems with signal. So we had initially abandoned our attempts last fall and then about a month ago I decided to give it another try. This time I installed one of the high power 2.4 SM’s and there ya go Bob, it worked. That is it did until about 10 days ago when the customer called to say that they are without service most of the time. Upon arrival and logging into the SM I found that it did indeen have no connection to the AP but then I noticed the strangest thing under the configuration tab… a strange IP address showed up, it was 192.168.101.72. We don’t use this range of IP’s, we are using 192.168.95.xxx. So I defaulted the unit and waited but still no signal. Then I replaced the SM with another of the same type and did all the usual IP config and stuff and got a decent signal and jitter, so I left the customer back in service and left. Two days later the customer called to say they were out of service again. Upon arrival and logon I found that again this mysterious IP had showed up. Since then we have not been able to get this customer back in service. One thing we did notice is that the competition has a Tranzeo 2.4 setup on the roof of the next door neighbour. I called their tech to find out if they are using the 192.168.101.xxx range in their units but he assures me they are not. I tend to believe him as we are in a small town and all seem to get along pretty well. So, does anyone out there have any ideas?? Thanks
Terry - Vanderhoof, BC, Canada

Did you put the SM in Spectrum Analyzer mode to see what kind of noise and intereference you are working with? How far away is the next door neighbor? Is it feasilbe to point the SM in the general vicinty to scan to try to determine what frequency they are using? Could you just ask the tech? Do you have any competitors in the area using Canopy?

When you defaulted the unit, did you just set its configurations to factory default? Is the LAN IP of the unit the mysterious addres you speak of, or is this the unit’s LUID IP address?

The strange IP address appeared in the SECOND SM as well, correct?

The IP range 192.168.101.xxx is the private IP network that exists between the AP and the child SM’s. You can change this network in the AP under the IP Configuration Page. This range is limited only to that AP and it’s child SM’s.

> AP is 192.168.101.1
> LUID 1 is 192.168.1.2
> LUID 2 is 192.168.1.3
> LUID 71 is 192.168.1.72

It sounds as if the SM is pulling an IP address dynamically. Next time he calls, log into the AP and see if his radio is still registered. If he is, then you know this is a configuration issue.

In the SM configuration, are you using NAT? If so, make sure you disable DHCP Client (this sets the SM to pull an IP from a DHCP server). You do want the DHCP Server enabled in the SM so that the customer machines will pull IPs from the SM.

If it continues, turn off NAT on the SM, and install a Router and see if that takes care of it.

msmith wrote:
Did you put the SM in Spectrum Analyzer mode to see what kind of noise and intereference you are working with? How far away is the next door neighbor? Is it feasilbe to point the SM in the general vicinty to scan to try to determine what frequency they are using? Could you just ask the tech? Do you have any competitors in the area using Canopy?

When you defaulted the unit, did you just set its configurations to factory default? Is the LAN IP of the unit the mysterious addres you speak of, or is this the unit's LUID IP address?

The strange IP address appeared in the SECOND SM as well, correct?

Yes it is the LUID IP address that we are seeing. No one else in our area is using the Canopy equipment. I did talk with their tech last night and he say that they are not using that IP range.