GPS issues ?

Hello is anyone else still getting GPS issues with the hockey puck GPS antenna?  We seem to have at least one if not more access points losing GPS daily, could be sunny could be cloudy etc. Sometimes reboot fixes them , sometimes might be hours before getting GPS comes back. Seems to be more on the ePMP 2k 5ghz Access points but we see it on the 2.4 ePMP 1k as well. May seem that way because we have more 5GHz access points deployed.

We are running the latest GPS firmware that was supposed to fix the random loss of GPS but we still seem to be seeing it.

Any suggestions?  Bad batch of GPS pucks? 

We've done two things to get around this... one, just try removing the puck and letting the internal antenna take over...  as a backup or for bad situations we use a packetflux rackinjector and supply power and sync via the radios ethernet ports.

2 Likes

I haven't experienced a series situation as yours. Hours before regaining sync?! I use the internal gps antenna and I lose gps sync every 3 or 4 days briefly(~30 sec). If the internal antenna works better than before, then you have a bad gps puck.

If you're going to use ePMP GPS sync you probably want to familiarize yourself with packetflux sync injectors. We only have one site  that doesn't use the packetflug sync injectors and that is because it isn't an option at that site (for reasons...)  it's also the only site where we still have problems with GPS sync failing. Right now I have one 2000 AP on that tower that we had to just turn off the GPS because it failed constantly. Of course then we had to play 5Ghz Channel Musical Chairs with all the other AP's in the area to reduce interference as much as possible until we can get Sync working on that AP again.  Ultimately we are going to have to sync inject that tower so next time we climb it we will have to put power/injection at the top...

@yhbb wrote:

I haven't experienced a series situation as yours. Hours before regaining sync?! I use the internal gps antenna and I lose gps sync every 3 or 4 days briefly(~30 sec). If the internal antenna works better than before, then you have a bad gps puck.

Internal GPS antenna has 2dBi gain only but this is enough to operate properly in 99.9% cases.The poke is active antenna that brings more gain but in many cases it is less immune for GSM interference around causing GPS signal saturation. Usually disconnecting active poke helps. Regardless of internal or external GPS antenna use, please make sure you Synchronization Holdoff Time is minimum 3600s.