GPS Sync PMP 450 3ghz

Anyone doing gps sync with 3 AP in the 3Ghz range? I'm looking to replace a couple AP's at a site and had a few question. I tried calling sales but no one ever answers. My main questions are.

1: With gps sync can I have a PTP and PTMP radio pointed in the same direction? Obviously I'm not planning on using the same channel for both but should the gps synce benefit both?

2: On sector APs, can the edge of the antenna beam overlap one another 5 to 10  degress or do I need to plan on having those edges right next to each other?

Thanks

-Chris

There are many customers synchronizing our PMP 450 solutions with many APs.

1: Yes, you can synchronize PTP and PTMP (if they're both 3 GHz 450 products) pointed in the same direction.  To do this, you'll need to ensure the duty cycle is the same, which may not be optimal for the services you're trying to deliver.  It may be a better option to utilize different bands to achieve the services you really desire.

2: Certainly you can overlap sectors.  The beamwidth indicated by our specifications is simply the 3 dB (or in some cases the 6 dB) rolloff point of the beam pattern.  Your best bet is to look at the radiation pattern of the antenna, and choose what makes sense given the intended subscriber locations.  If you're specifically looking at the 3.65 GHz PMP 450, our sector antenna is a 65 degree (3dB rolloff) pattern.  You can reasonably use this antenna for either a 60 or a 90 degree sector.  For SMs that are between sectors, they might suffer a bit of interference from the neighboring sector, but you should still be able to deploy SMs at a reasonable distance, even in these locations.

Hope that helps answer your questions... a more quantitative answer can be given if you can provide more details around the intended deployment.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

Thanks for that information. That helps me out a lot in planning my deployment. I currently have a site with just a PTP registered in the 365 band. Its currently serving one customer. I plan on adding two sectors up at this site in the same band and am trying to determine what would be the best way to limit self interference in such a limited space. I figured if I upgrade that link to a PTP 450 3Ghz and install 2 PMP 450 3Ghz then I can sync them together to limit self interference.

In regards to all radios needing the same duty cycle, do the AP's also need be on the same channel with as well? My thoughts are putting the PTP in a 10mhz channel and the the two PMP in 20mhz channels. Even with 65% duty cycle on the AP that leaves me enough capacity to fill my needs there.

@Fld Wrls wrote:

I'm looking to replace a couple AP's at a site and had a few question. I tried calling sales but no one ever answers. My main questions are.

What brand/type of AP's are you replacing? WiMAX?

ALSO, what region are you in? You should be able to connect with a regional Cambium RSM/RTM that can help you out with this... they're typically pretty good at responding.

I'm in the US. I tried calling the generic support number on the main website and select sales, but no one ever picks up and I get the message that a voicemail box has not been setup. Old ptp is Wimax gear registered with the FCC.

I've got two other sites using Aperto wimax gear that I want replace here soon with the PMP 450 line. If there is a better number to call for sales questions please let me know so I can get a hold of them.

@Fld Wrls wrote:

If there is a better number to call for sales questions please let me know so I can get a hold of them.

I'm going to private message you with some information.

So I'm not sure why, but I cannot send you a private message due to some strangeness with your forum name. When I asked what region you're in, I meant what region of the US... e.g. west coast, alaska, mid west, etc.

I'm on the west coast, California. I did change my screen name today. Don't know if that has anything to do with PM issue. If you have information that could help me my email is cchavez at oacys dot com