Help Pls.. How about SM to Switch?

is it possible to connect my SM to my Switch? So i don’t have to use a proxy server…

Yes, you can connect an Ethernet switch and multiple PCs to a single SM. Your ISP, however, may or may not allow you to use a unique IP address on their network for each PC. If they only allow the use of a single IP address on their network, then you must implement NAT using either the SM or a separate router.

i’ve tried connecting the SM to my switch. but i don’t know how to configure the NAT…

what DNS and gateway do i have to put in the NAT? is it the DNS and Gateway in my proxy server?

and what is the configuration of my workstations?

thnx ahead… : )

All depends. If you terminate the SM in a switch, you can do a number of things. If your ISP is using and allocating public IP addresses to end users, then any PC directly connected to the switch would need:

(1) Public IP address and subnet mask

(1) Default Gateway (core router of ISP)

(1 or 2) DNS Servers for name resolution

Another thing you can do is terminate the SM into the switch, and then from an open port on the same switch, run a CAT5 cable to a WAN port in a broadband NAT router. You would then need to configure the WAN port with IP information given to you by the ISP. This information will be the same as mentioned above, if they are using public IP addresses.

If your ISP is using NAT, the configuration would be the same, but the IP addresses would look a little different. Like I said, it all depends on how your ISP is allocating addresses.

msmith,

We’re given 1 static IP… then instead of assigning that in a proxy server i want to connect my SM to my Switch…
but that procedure you have given… it is for my Workstations right? and Teknix said i have to enable the NAT on my SM… after i enable the NAT what’s the next do i have to modify? because i’ve tried changing the IP address in the NAT and after saving and reboot i can’t connect to my SM… so i have to reset my SM… and that’s problem now… because i don’t know what’s exactly do i have to put there…

is it the same proc?

(1) Public IP address and subnet mask

(1) Default Gateway (core router of ISP)

(1 or 2) DNS Servers for name resolution

any advice?

thnx! : )

and Teknix said i have to enable the NAT on my SM..

Yes. If your ISP provides you with (1) public IP address, and you do not want to terminate into some type of NAT-router, you can turn the SM into a NAT router. I have never personally done this, so I am not exactly sure of the steps you would need to take.

The basic theory behind NAT allows you to, in a sense, "split" your public IP address into private, non-routable addresses. So, you would configure your SM's public interface with the IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers provided to your by your ISP. Your SM also has a Local NAT interface, which you would configure with your private NAT subnet.

Use something like 192.168.1.1 for the local NAT interface IP address. You can then enable the DHCP server on the local NAT interface to hand out IP addresses to the machines connected to your switch.

After you set the local NAT IP address, you should use that IP address to access the module's web-based config when you are on the local side of the LAN. If you are on the opposite side, I think you have the use the "Public RF" IP Address?