HI Every on want to know a few things about TDD and Eptp mode.

I have been going through other people suggestion and queries. If i understood correctly ePTP mode is preferred over TDD is you have a point to point link ...

I have configured my epmp 1000 as TDD, using 40 Mhz , i have a pretty stable connection almost all the time. with a Downlink of around 60 to 100 mbps and uplink of around 10 to 30 Mbps at the receving end. I was wondering if i cound increase the output further. the distance is around 3.8 miles. So any suggestion is welcome.

Also I tried to change from TDD to ePTP mode, using the same frequecy on which TDD mode is working find, if i change it to ePTP the link never comes up.. Is there any changes that need to be made?

Thankyou in Advance.

Opps ... forgot to mention the  capacity and quality are above 80% most of the time howver every 2 mins it drops to around 30% is there a way to improve this ?

Did you change to ePTP mode at both ends or just the AP/Master end?

What firmware version(s)?

Do you have WPA2 enabled on the link?

How are you testing the capacity?

Have you run spectrum analyzer (or at least AutoChannelSelection) to target the cleanest chunk of spectrum available?  I find that once I get a PtP link set up with ePMP gear I can usually switch it to ePTP and DFS and get a nice stable link.  (at least since 2.4.x firmware releases - had intermittent issues with some earlier firmware)

One ePTP I was just looking at runs MCS15 up/down nearly all the time, RSSI -59, SNR 32dB, 40MHz wide on 5220 and link test hits 120Mbps down/100Mbps up. (6.7 miles) NOTE that the link test between radios may not reflect real-world capacity - with ePTP or 'flexible' up/down ratio, it may show you the max uplink/downlink speeds, but you'll usually not get those speeds simultaneously - with that particular link, speed tests between the routers at each end can hit 60-80mbps down and 20-30mbps up simultaneously, but only when I tell it to not exceed 20-30mbps up - otherwise it starts shifting and stabilized somewhere around 50/50.  (automatically adapting to best accomodate demand)

j

1 Like

Thanks for the reply... I had changed both the sides one as ePTP master and other as a slave.

The firmware version is 2.6.2

have WPA2 enabled on the link

i am just using the wireless link test on the ePMP firmware.

Well to be honest I have not run the spectrum analyzer as i am new to these things but trying to learn

To run the spectrum analyzer means setting it to SA mode and rebooting - the radio link will NOT be available until you finish, restore AP/SM instead of SA mode, and reboot.  (meaning you can't run it on the 'far end' radio)

You can get a rough idea of what the spectrum looks like from the AP/Master end by enabling ACS.  Once you manually run an ACS scan or reboot the radio, it will show you a graph on the ACS Tools page that will give you some idea of what frequencies to avoid due to interference.

Note that AFAIK the ACS will NOT usually see periodic signal spikes, only ongoing signals.  (It doesn't listen for very long - SA would let you run it for several minutes and see short-burst spikes that might only occur every 30 secs or something)

j

@newkirk wrote:

To run the spectrum analyzer means setting it to SA mode and rebooting - the radio link will NOT be available until you finish, restore AP/SM instead of SA mode, and reboot.  (meaning you can't run it on the 'far end' radio)

Hopefully, those will be features to be added in 3.1 or 3.2 (soon) which will really help when working on a remote link. Those features are:

A) a 'test mode' so that you can apply settings without saving them, and if it doesn't re-link (or if no one clicks on 'save') in X minutes, then it'll revert back to previously working settings.

B) the ability to run a Spectrum from the Slave/SM side - so disconnect from the AP, run the SA, reconnect to AP, and display results.

Those two things would really help trying to diagnose and optimize connections. :)