High CPU Usage

I have ePMP 1000 radios both AP & SM that show well over 100% cpu usage, even as high as 720, when using snmp OID CAMBIUM-PMP80211-MIB::sysCPUUsage.0 (.1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.2.1.64.0). Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a bug in the SNMP daemon? Should these values just be divide by 10,  to provide more sane vales?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

1 Like

Hello Barry,

You are absolutely right. There is an issue with the reported value. I will be reporting this to our Development team. Thanks for your feedback.

PS: It does look like the correct value would be the reported value divided by 10, but I cannot tell you for sure until the Development team looks at it.

Regards,

Luis

Thanks, Luis.

Barry

1 Like

Hello Barry,

Quick follow-up. The Development team has confirmed that the current value needs to be divided by 10 before it is reported. This fix is currently scheduled to release 2.5.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Luis

Thanks, Luis.

Glad I could help.

Barry

1 Like

Luis,

One more thought. The CPU usage comes back as a "Counter32", I think this should be a "Gauge". If my understanding of "Counter" and "Gauge" is correct, a "Counter" represents a increasing value and a "Gauge" represents a value that goes up and down, such as temperature or CPU usage. If my understanding is correct you might pass this on to the developers.

Thanks,

Barry

1 Like

@Barry Kolts wrote:

Luis,

One more thought. The CPU usage comes back as a "Counter32", I think this should be a "Gauge". If my understanding of "Counter" and "Gauge" is correct, a "Counter" represents a increasing value and a "Gauge" represents a value that goes up and down, such as temperature or CPU usage. If my understanding is correct you might pass this on to the developers.

Thanks,

Barry

Barry, Will do. Good point about the Gauge vs Counter. 

Luis mentioned that we will fix the divide by 10 "issue" in the next release. But we're not sure. The reason is because the current value gives you the CPU usage to a precision of 0.1%. Dividing it by 10 takes that away from customers who like this granularity. We'll keep you posted on what we decide. 

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

Hi Sriram,

I like the 0.1%, good idea. So that would just require a change in the documentation. The Counter/Gauge would still require a firmware change and documentation change. I hope that makes life easier!

Have a good day,

Barry

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I have been able to use this as a quick fix for Zabbix.