Higher Gain Yagi for 900 MHz SM?

Hello Everyone.

I see that this post has been marked solved but alas it has not been.

Things got off topic and my question was never answered, well I take that back.  I did get a responce, thanks again by the way, from two people using the 17.5 but I still waiting to see what improvemnts one of the responders has experienced.

Also I am still looking for a source to purchase two of the 17.5 dual slant yagis.

http://www.kpperformance.ca/

And if you are american the dollar is in your favor.

We have two 17.5 DB yagis that improved sm signals and SNR values over the cambium 12dbi

@tanner wrote:

http://www.kpperformance.ca/

And if you are american the dollar is in your favor.

We have two 17.5 DB yagis that improved sm signals and SNR values over the cambium 12dbi

Hi Tanner

Talked to them on several occasions and they will sell me 5 not 2.  :  (

I assume you have the 17.5 dual slant.

Was this a PTP?

What improvement did you see in signal, ul/dl, latency?

What is your path like?  Distance, Obstruction, Noise.

Thanks again.

I was looking into the KPP 17.5 dB antennae, and something seems very off in the pricing.  They're almost an order of magnitude more expensive than the Cambium antennae.

Am I missing something here, or is there some huge difference in manufacturing that I'm not seeing?  If they were welded or some such I would understand, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Even the KPP 14.5 dB antennae are still prohibitively expensive.

@Ted Stewart wrote:

I was looking into the KPP 17.5 dB antennae, and something seems very off in the pricing.  They're almost an order of magnitude more expensive than the Cambium antennae.

Am I missing something here, or is there some huge difference in manufacturing that I'm not seeing?  If they were welded or some such I would understand, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Even the KPP 14.5 dB antennae are still prohibitively expensive.

Aren't these sold in 5 pack boxes? Is that why it's so much more?

1 Like

That would certainly explain it.

Thanks!

Ted

Yes they are only sold in packs of 5.

I have tried every which way to purchase just 2 from KPP but they will not budge.

Are you looking to purchase?

If so how many?

I suspect we'll just start with one for testing purposes and decide if we want to use them from there.

Basic question is if you use a higher gain antenna you need to reduce transmit power to comply with FCC regulations? Also, if you are in an area where the noise floor is higher or high, do you expose yourself to interference on the upload from the SM?

@jfluker wrote:

Basic question is if you use a higher gain antenna you need to reduce transmit power to comply with FCC regulations? Also, if you are in an area where the noise floor is higher or high, do you expose yourself to interference on the upload from the SM?

Yes, if you're using 900MHz in FCC land with higher gain antennas (other then the Cambium OEM ones), then you will need to reduce your TX power if you want to stay legal... now as to whether or not any of the typical users of this spectrum comply with this.. i.e. power companies, water companies, farmers, rail road, utility SCADA, paging, etc... that's a different story.

In regards to your second question... I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Could you maybe clarify?