how can i block sharefile programs on motorola AP's??

hello awesome motorola team! i just posted another question and i am really amazed of how quickly someone helped me -still in process though- but thank you so much!

i have a major problem that is giving me a headache. i have one customer who uses sharefiles, like Kazaa, LimeWare, uTorrent, etc. you know, these prgrams where you can downlooad music/movies/etc for ‘free’. well, how can i block such a tremendous heachache? is there a way to do this using via AP or through the SM device?

man! i wish i could know how to do this, i hope there is a way. thank you guys!

as far as i know this can only be done with a router. either at each tower or at the POP doesn’t matter where just that there is one. I know on mikrotiks, which we use, you can enable queues to limit connections and bandwidth for all p2p software. although it does not work perfectly especially with bittorrent coming out with their new encrypted connections which the router doesnt recognize. otherwise you would have to do it through a layer 7 analyzer, which could either be a server or router but will use massive amount of cpu depending on how many customers and how much bandwidth

oh wow! i guess it won’t be an easy thing to do but thank for yu for the advice. i appreciate it. thank you man.

What you are asking for is a packet-shaping platform. MikroTik and Linux are the two solutions that will give you some control but take time to learn and implement.

Another solution is to implement bandwidth caps. He can use all of his bandwidth in 3 days, pay more, or change his habits. This will require a monitoring system like PRTG that can report utilization and allow you to bill accordingly. PRTG will also send emails once thresholds are reached so the customer knows what’s going on. There are more sophisticated solutions that will actually automatically reduce a customers speed but again, these solutions take time.

For an immediate solution, the radios have the ability to regulate the customers speed through sustained rates and burst values. The burst value is the amount of data the customer can download at the max radio link speed. The sustained rate is the speed the the customer will have once the burst values are used up. Setting the burst to 8000 up x 24000 down and sustained to 256k x 512k will give them 1MB upload x 3MB download at the max data rate and then cap the speed at 256k x 512k until the customer stops transferring long enough for the burst bucket to refill. This keeps one user for hogging all of the bandwidth.

If he doesn’t like it, send him to your competitor.

oh i can see now. so that is what it means burst up and down speeds. i kinda had an idea but i was not really sure about it. i am going to set it up to up 128, down 256 and on those burst allocations fields i am going to set it to Up 128 and down to 256. and just as you said, i am not really concerned this customer moves to someone else besides there is only one other company here in the country field and they are way too expensive.

so let me ask you this. if i put this:
up 128
down 512
burst up 2000
burst down 2000

is that a good setting? or do you recommend to just leave it this way
up 128
down 521
burst up 128
burst down 512
if i do it this way, still it’s a pretty good connection speed, right?

What service are you selling?

i sell the 512kbps.

Keep in mind, burst is not a speed, it’s a value. if the radio can support 1500kbps x 700kbps, the customer will be able to transfer data at that rate until the burst value is used.

I’d set the radio at 512 x 256 sustained with 0 burst as a general rule. For your hog I would set his to 512 x 128 with 0 burst.

We use an NTOP box for this type of thing.

oh ok. i have to really have this in mind when i set SM’s. thank you. i will be careful

what burst value will not affect VOIP ? but keep the p2p traffic in check ?

that is a good question. i’d like to see what is the answer.

VoIP is best solved with a QoS router on site.

Come to think of it that could be a way to manage P2P - install a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it and enable the QoS rules. It would give you some level of control, but it wouold cost 70/customer.

Man! You ROCK! You are very knowledgeable! thanks man for the info.

We use a Allot Netenforcer for all our traffic shaping. It is expensive, but worth its weight in gold. We run 500 customers on a 10meg pipe. It will cost you around 5 grand for the 10meg unit, but it can set qos, speed, and has a updating service list, it can even stop encripted bittorrent.