How to add a device and element with SOAP

The documentation and API to add/modify/delete customers is very complete. The differnet actions supplied can do pretty much anything you want.

Contrary to this is the clientDevice and prizmElement types. The API is silent as to adding these types and no action seems to exist that returns an elementId. Compare this to addCustomer which returns the customerId. The appearance is that all elements should be discovered first, then they may be managed. I likely don’t understand how prizm is functioning but that is what it looks like from the API point of view.

Either a couple of networkIf types and actions are missing that might enable the addElement functionality or I have really missed the knowledge boat concerning how one is to accomplish the feat without the devices prior discovery. Maybe one is always required to discover the element first. The difficulty in that situation is an installer waiting in the field to have a unit accepted after the first failed attempt at registration.

The reason behind wanting this is to activate a clientDevice, allow its full management by prizm, and when it first registers, make attribute changes to the element as they have been passed to prizm. This is somewhat like the GUI procedure detailed in guide starting on page 94 titled

Prizm2 User Guide wrote:
Procedure 17: Accepting an uninstalled element for BAM-only operations

And, the reason you want to do this is to allow the provisioning of the device before it’s installation. One must get the donkey in front of the cart :wink:

The ClientDevice is a read only object that Prizm automatically manages when it monitors the Bridge Table of Subscriber Units or Backhaul Slaves or when it scans the ARP table of Routers etc. These are not managed units. They exist only for informational purposes only. (I.E. To track the MAC address of user machines etc.) Look up the Find IP/MAC Address tool for more info on this feature.

You are correct in that there are currently no APIs in the 2.00 SDK for adding/discovering PrizmElement types. This can only be performed manually via the GUI (Discover Network Elements, Add Elements for BAM Provisioning, Import Elements from BAM, Accepting BAM Rejected Elements).

We will look to adding additional APIs for supporting the provisioning elements use-cases (add element etc.) you have described.

Anonymous wrote:
You are correct in that there are currently no APIs in the 2.00 SDK for adding/discovering PrizmElement types. This can only be performed manually via the GUI (Discover Network Elements, Add Elements for BAM Provisioning, Import Elements from BAM, Accepting BAM Rejected Elements).
We will look to adding additional APIs for supporting the provisioning elements use-cases (add element etc.) you have described.
Can you enlighten me on when this might be added as I have a large project waiting on this functionality. If you need beta SDK sites or any other feedback/help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Any news on provisioning via API?
If anyone had a positive experiencie please share.
Thanks.