how to get xbox live?

I’ve been struggling to get xbox live fired up through canopy. Like mensioned in other posts, I can connect to xbox live OK, and use Chat, IM, and other features, but it doesnt work for playing games. Xbox Live support says that my ISP is not compatible with xbox live.

I’m wondering if anyone has finally figured out what the issues are.

I’m convinced that my WISP doesnt really understand what is going on. They claim that some people can play just fine with no changes, but that I need changes to my account (and setting changes in the radio) that will cost an extra $10.00/month.

Does this sound correct?

What changes are required, and why can some play “as is”?

Why do setting changes cost extra?

I’m running through a 2400SM modem, and a Netgear Router.
Any help would be appreciated.

While this is not an end user forum, I can venture a guess.

I suspect that your provider provides you with a private IP address, and you have a Linksys or other DSL router that allows your computers and XBOX to access the internet.

This set up is referred to as “Double NAT” which is a known obstacle for XBOX services (as well other other types of services)

The solution would be to ask your provider for a public IP address for your router.

agreed

Thanks for the info.
Sorry for posting here. I didnt realize that it wasnt an open forum.

Arent there other issues involved with Public IP, security, etc? I’m anticipating that they will not provide one.

Is this the only way around it. They mentioned something about opening ports.

Also, are you aware of any good “end user” forums that could help me on this topic?

a public ip to your wan interface of your router isn’t an issue. it will then NAT for your local network, its the dual nat scenario causing you problems.

have you verified the wan ip of your router as a NAT’d ip? if not login to your router & check the status page to see your wan ip. if it belongs to a non-routable network then dual nat is most likely your problem.

your isp may be able to charge you for a real world ip as an extra service if they offer it.

Thanks for the response.

The only thing I found about the WAN setup on the router is:

Connect Automatically, as Required =Yes

Disable SPI Firewall = No

Default DMZ Server … = No

Respond to Ping on Internet Port = No

MTU Size (in bytes) = 1500

NAT Filtering = Secured

Do you think it might work if I change my router NAT Filtering to = Open?

Maybe I should just try plugging my modem directly into the xbox (taking the router completely out of the picture) to see if it solves the problem. Although, that would not be a workable long term fix.

I imagine the extra $10 per month is to give you a public IP…

Plug the canopy into the Xbox directly… that should solve the “double NAT” issue, as you’ll have only the ISP’s router as the single and only NAT.

Gonzo wrote:
Thanks for the response.

The only thing I found about the WAN setup on the router is:

Connect Automatically, as Required =Yes

Disable SPI Firewall = No

Default DMZ Server ... = No

Respond to Ping on Internet Port = No

MTU Size (in bytes) = 1500

NAT Filtering = Secured

Do you think it might work if I change my router NAT Filtering to = Open?

Maybe I should just try plugging my modem directly into the xbox (taking the router completely out of the picture) to see if it solves the problem. Although, that would not be a workable long term fix.

Log into your netgear router and go to the Router Status page. Under IP address if you see an IP in the 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x or 10.x.x.x) than you are having the double NAT issue previously mentioned. A solution to this is to either directly connect your Xbox to the canopy modem or to purchase a public IP address from your provider.

If you do not see the above scenario (ie an IP address in a different range than mentioned) you may need to assign your Xbox a static IP address and forward UDP ports 88, 2074 and 3074 and TCP port 3074 to the unit (I had to do this with mine as I was having connection issues). You can find tons of information off of Google on how to do this.

Hope that helps!

Hey!

Depending on the firmware, the Canopy may not allow port forwarding, and so bypassing the router won’t help.

However, even if you don’t want to pay for a routable IP address, your ISP should be able to help you put the IP address which currently resides in your antenna (the one on the ‘interior’ of the antenna’s NAT, if you will) directly into your router. Typically, that won’t be a routable static, but a number somewhere in the 192.168.x.y range.

Then, in this scenario, your ISP would simply turn off NAT in the antenna, and let the router do all of the routing. Most of the time, the set-up I’ve described will work without any further tweaking to the router, though occasionally you have to do port forwarding at that level.

If you need the Netgear router just for local wireless and if you are sure your ISP enabled NAT on Canopy, another way to avoid double-Nat is to put the Netgear in bridge with Canopy.
If your router has 4+1 ethernet port (4 LAN + WAN), just connect Canopy to the LAN. This way the Netgear will be completely transparent.

BigTrumpet wrote:
If you need the Netgear router just for local wireless and if you are sure your ISP enabled NAT on Canopy, another way to avoid double-Nat is to put the Netgear in bridge with Canopy.
If your router has 4+1 ethernet port (4 LAN + WAN), just connect Canopy to the LAN. This way the Netgear will be completely transparent.

Don't forget to turn off the local DHCP on your Netgear if you choose to do this, otherwise you'll have IP conflict issues.

If the Canopy SM is in NAT mode just turn on the DMZ. Configure your router with the DMZ IP of the Canopy SM. You will also have to ensure that the Canopy SM has a public IP or that you have a static NAT mapping between the SM and your providers edge router. This is how I get Xbox to work for all customers. Your provider should be able to do this. And they should know about this ahead of time.