Icing of AP's

anyone have any experience with spraying teflon or some other slippery material on AP’s to keep ice from building up?

Never had an issue. The radios seem to run warm enough that they defrost themselves.

we had a BAD ice storm 2 years ago… ice was falling faster than it could melt off of the radios… funny as it seems… but it works… we sprayed the radios lightly with “PAM” and it seems to work rather well… i know that is a temp solution… but we havent had a problem sense and actual squirt the front of every radio before deployment…

DONT LAUGH… it works! :oops:

The ice problem last year was the first time in 5 years. The ice built up on the AP’s to a thickness of about an inch.

Most customers did not have any problems, but customers that were close to the low end of the threshold kept re-registering until the ice melted off.

Pam cooking spray - brilliant! That’s the kind of thing I was looking for.
Thanks

The PAM spray is a good idea, how long does it last though?

Have to wonder if a car wax would work as well. Rub it on and buff it off. Might last longer as well.

I was thinking Rain-X too

Genious!

Is rain-x teflon based?

Good point. Also after Googling, seems that it’s also a solvent.

Found this: http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/

I’m going to try it.

What about somthing like WD-40? It’s got a million uses.

I was thinking that also, but I wonder about the solvents and the plastic housing. It would be a drag to have the case crack and leak water…

Actually a few years back this was discussed on a different forum. The topic was brought about due to the effects of icing on yagi antennas (900MHz to be specific). There were MANY trials done, and the solution was the following:

1) Use a degreaser to thoroughly clean the surface.
2) Clean again
3) Without touching the surfaces, spray silicone spray onto the surface

The important factor was the degreasing of the surface of ANYTHING that is not the original material (plastic or metal). Failure to clean well enough resulted in ice building up due to the silicone spray not adhereing well to the surface. Cooking sprays were also tested (because of cost) and were found to work reasonably well but again, only after a thorough cleaning.

For my purposes this year I have ordered the following already…

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP … ventPage=1
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP … ventPage=1

You might do a Google search for hydrophobic coatings. These are often used on antennas and such. If the water can’t stick the ice cannot form. You may have to reapply every year or two but may be worth the effort. I have coated satellite antennas and the snow even slides off.

Fred Dunham

What about (for ice/snow) heated yagis? Using heat tape inside the yagi arm?

WD-40 only works well for wind resistance. :smiley:

The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement, so that should work, although I’ve never tested the issue of the housing being adversly effected. When guys at the airport anti ice airplanes, they use glycol. However the silicone spray idea seems to me to be the best because it will last the longest. Although I really don’t know how long glycol will stay on the radio.

One thing I was thinking is you could get a tube of silicone lubricant and after a thorough cleaning, one could apply it to the entire surface of the antenna. This type of silicone is like a jelly so it might stick even better.

I’m not sure about the whole silicone idea. I’ve heard that some Silicones absorb RF signals. So I’d be careful what Silicone you put on your antennas.

I’ll chime in and agree that PAM works wonders.

We’ve been using it for quite some time. when we check everything before winter hits , we hit our external antennas with a bit o’ cooking PAM and BAM , we kick the signal up a notch during ice storms!

Well maybe not kick the signal up as the transmitters are always maxed, but the pam does actually work, and work well.

-Wayne

Has anyone actually used this stuff?:

http://www.wx2100.com/

Specifically on Last Mile Gear or other Moto products.