Ideal SNR?

Is there an ideal or recommended SNR I should be seeking for PTMP SM’s in the field or is it situational? Some SA work showed average noise levels for potential sites ranging from -88dB to 97dB. We plan to use 900MHz & 5.4GHz gear. Our city is relatively flat with structures primarily under 3 stories. Tree canopy varies.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
Dale

dstrawford wrote:
Is there an ideal or recommended SNR I should be seeking for PTMP SM's in the field or is it situational? Some SA work showed average noise levels for potential sites ranging from -88dB to 97dB. We plan to use 900MHz & 5.4GHz gear. Our city is relatively flat with structures primarily under 3 stories. Tree canopy varies.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
Dale

3db minimum is needed for 1x operation and 10db for 2x operation. Our standard practice is at least 10db for 1x and 15-20 for 2x.

It never hurts to give yourself a little extra fade. Wireless environments can change with little to no notice, so the extra fade might be the difference between maintaining or losing a link.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any difference if I am using LOS or NLOS gear?

dstrawford wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any difference if I am using LOS or NLOS gear?

Specs are the same across the canopy line as far as SNR requirements, however any time you are shooting through foliage, give yourself additional fade. Moisture in the foliage can destroy a wireless link for several days or more, depending on how wet you are.