Interference Levels

I have been out and about checking for interference lately with the spectrum analyzer built into the SM/BHS, and I was curious about the levels of microwaves I’m finding.

For the most part it seems to be looking good, -80 to -85 on the 5.7, but the 2.4GHz is a little bit of a different story. I see spikes across the spectrum up to about -60, some places higher.

I realize it is situational, but at what point have others of you noticed that the interference starts to cause real problems. Is there a threshold level above which you have noticed significantly more problems?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, on 900MHz, 2.4, and 5.7.

All you need is the Canopy signal to be 3 dB higher than the background interference. Simple, right? The problem is it must always be at least 3 dB higher. That’s what makes your task so difficult: the interference comes and goes and varies in intensity. You can overcome nearly any level of interference, but doing so may not be practical because of either added equipment costs or reduced range.

You may want to consider adding 5.2GHz Canopy units to your mix; there seems to be a lot less congestion in that range. Like the 5.7GHz units, however, you need an obstruction-free RF LOS.

Good luck!

I just got added to the company to set this stuff all up, and that’s what I have to work with for the time being. Stacks of 900/2.4. But I will keep it in mind for the future.

On a positive note, the 2.4 seems relatively clear in many places. We’ll see how it works out. I come from more of a programming background, so all this RF stuff is a bit out there for me yet. heh I love a good learning curve though!

I have had alot of trouble with 2.4 - there are too many rookies with 14dB amplifiers and 16dB antennas spraying wideband 802.11 noise all over the place.

We are migrating off the 2.4. If you can avoid using it, you should as you will likely be pulling it all out later.