Introducing Cambium 450i - PMP and PTP

We've just announced the Cambium 450i platform.  Read the press release here.

Check out the product page here, with some great information on the new products, including spec sheets.

Feel free to post questions or comments on this below.

3 Likes

Nice to have more power. when can we hear prices? When are they going to be avaliable?

Will a 3.65 variant ever be released.  Also, can you explain where the extra transmit output power may be more useful over the regular 450AP if FCC says max EIRP is 36dbm?  Is the output power maxed at 27dbm for all channel widths?  5.8 band is pretty much toast where we are but im interested in hearing how using the 450i could open up more possibilities in other bands (...like the 5.1 band) or even new spectrum that competing devices do not have.  

@Juan Marriott wrote:

Nice to have more power. when can we hear prices? When are they going to be avaliable?

In some locations, our resellers are already taking pre-orders.  In others, we are still going through the type approval process, so availability may vary.  We expect product ordered now will ship sometime in August.

@Nathan Dothager wrote:

Will a 3.65 variant ever be released.  Also, can you explain where the extra transmit output power may be more useful over the regular 450AP if FCC says max EIRP is 36dbm?  Is the output power maxed at 27dbm for all channel widths?  5.8 band is pretty much toast where we are but im interested in hearing how using the 450i could open up more possibilities in other bands (...like the 5.1 band) or even new spectrum that competing devices do not have.  

- We don't yet have a timeline on a 3.65 release of PMP 450i.
- Extra transmit power can be useful in a couple of ways.  First, if a lower gain AP antenna is used, this increased Tx power can get you back to the EIRP limit of 36 dBm in 5.8.  Second, on the SM side, this increased power is useful in the 5.8 GHz band.

- The maximum Tx power is slightly lower at the highest modulation (256 QAM) at +26 dBm combined

- We will gain approval for all FCC-alllowed bands between 4.9 and 5.8 GHz.  At launch, however, we're approved only in 4.9 and 5.8 GHz.  We don't yet have approval for 5.1, 5.2 or 5.4, but expect them within a couple months.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Is there still a delay in 450i sm compatibility with a 450 AP?

@Timothy Alexander wrote:

I believe so... compatibility is scheduled for a 14.x release IIRC.

@Timothy Alexander wrote:

Yes, 450 compatiblity won't be officially supported until 14.1. 

When you say 450 compatability do you mean 450i AP with 450 SM or 450 AP with 450i AP

The reason i say is we want to have a future proofed network, the 450i is interesting because its newest and faster and already it's mentioned the 40mhz will most likely be only on 450i in some docs i read... 

But the 450i CPE's are too big for the bulk of our intended clients, and more expensive...

I think our main issue is 450i AP with 450SM support, and the idea of if we even need 450i's or can stick with 450AP's

The fact cambium still hasn't put forth a roadmap for 450 vs 450i Access Points, it really leaves us a bit lost, how are we to know if a year from now when a performance improvement hits firmware that boosts throughput wont be only for 450i AP's and not 450 AP's. Especailly it's already mentioned that the processing for the 450i is needed for the higher 40mhz channels....

(Looking at the only roadmap that i've ever seen from a ppt, 40Mhz Channels, MU-MIMO, 256+ QAM, etc are all olanned, but are none of those going to be coming to the standard 450's, and theres talk in the PPT that the 450 SM's will be future proof for future  roadmap improvements at the AP, does that mean 450i SM = 450 SM for all intensive purposes of 40MHz and the above features.)

I thinnk that 450i-450 compability is for migration purposes; but if you want to take advantages of new features I recomend to put another ring of PMP450i, sm are more expensives so they are for high paying custumers, or 20-30 mbps custumers, or voip custumers.

Here's the first photo of the PMP 450i SM installed in the field by Justin Robinson. This one is in Salt Lake City, Utah. Anyone else have a photo of yours to share?

What is the latest with this product? Is it going to ship soon? Timeline on those features that were talked about? 14.1?