IPv6

Anyone palyed around with IPv6, we just got a block of like a gizzillion IPv6 addresses…

I am just planning ahead…

Anyone using it ? Any thoughts on when it will become mainstream…

vj wrote:
Anyone palyed around with IPv6, we just got a block of like a gizzillion IPv6 addresses...

I am just planning ahead....

Anyone using it ? Any thoughts on when it will become mainstream...

SixXS has a lot of info on IPv6 http://www.sixxs.net/faq/

We are not using it at this time and don't have any immediate plans to use it as there is no demand for it right now (not here anyway).

As for when it will become mainstream, that depends on what country you live in really. I think China, Japan, Korea and several other countries (France?) are already making it mandatory or at least moving in that direction. The USA isn't doing much with it right now other than parts of the government ( the military parts mostly ) . Google made the news when it was discovered they had enough IPv6's to give everyone on the planet one but they have yet to use a single one of them and last time I checked MS, Yahoo and several others had a lot more IPv6 space than Google and they had it long before Google did yet they have not made any use of them. For the most part they are all doing like you, just planning ahead.

I'm not real sure how the countries pushing IPv6 are doing it . As far as I can figure out, Windows 95 / 98 only support it via patches / add ons and then very poorly while XP SP2 (not sure on 2003 server) supports it but you have to patch it in for anything more than just "mostly supports IPv6" and even then you lose some functionality of IPv4 unless you install the "Advanced Networking Something or another". Even once you are up to full IPv6 in XP (2003 ?) it has problems because of the way IPv6 is implemented side by side with IPv4. Vista will be the first MS OS that will support all functions of IPv6 native (and still support IPv4 without screwing on or the other up). At the rate MS is going with releasing Vista who knows when it will actually be released.

I think it will be a long, long, long time before before IPv6 really starts rolling in the US (e.g. not until we are forced to move to IPv6) but I think China may light a fire under our virtual butts before then. China plans to be entirely IPv6 by the 2008 Olympics (held in China) and while they have the spotlight they will be showing the world their super powers and IPv6 will be part of the show (no idea how big a deal they will make out of it or what all they are doing with it). I don't remember the exact quote but it went something like " Americans will be asking themselves why the average 12 year old Chinese girl knows how to do 'something I don't remember what' that even American IT professionals don't know how to do".

mmm… I totally agree with you… I just wanted to play with it…

I want to BGP peer with someone… SIXXT don’t do that…