Is GPS sync still working when I select the internal GPS?

When I select the internal GPS, the Sattilite indicator at the top of the GUI goes to grey. In a location where I am using the front and back function on the same freguency and I switch one AP to the internal GPS, the other AP starts having SM's drop. This leads me to believe that when the internal GPS is selected there is no sync occurring. Is this correct?

Internal does not mean internal GPS, it means generate timing internally.  you have to use GPS setting to get sync via GPS to achieve sync. if you want to use the internal antenna, you just take off the GPS puck and it switches.

3 Likes

Thank you. That explains my issue. It seems kind of inconvenient to have to climb a tower to switch from the puck to the internal chip, though.

@SBBinc wrote:

t seems kind of inconvenient to have to climb a tower to switch from the puck to the internal chip, though.

Hi. As far as I know, there is only one 'GSP chip' as far as I know, so it's using the same 'chip'. But, if you choose not to connect the external puck antenna, then it'll try to use a smaller internal antenna. I'm not sure what cases one would want to choose to use a lower gain antenna in - but as far as I'm aware, either way is still using the GPS circuitry chip :)

1 Like

@ninedd wrote:

@SBBinc wrote:

t seems kind of inconvenient to have to climb a tower to switch from the puck to the internal chip, though.

Hi. As far as I know, there is only one 'GSP chip' as far as I know, so it's using the same 'chip'. But, if you choose not to connect the external puck antenna, then it'll try to use a smaller internal antenna. I'm not sure what cases one would want to choose to use a lower gain antenna in - but as far as I'm aware, either way is still using the GPS circuitry chip :)

the external gps antenna has some active electronics in it, I've noticed sometimes those round gps antennas do more harm than good with strong near band noise.  the squarish pucks seem to be fine with it.   the internal, though lower gain seems to be less of an issue with near band noise, not as good as the square antennas.    good ole noise right?