Issues trying to install CNUT

Okay, I know this is probably easier than I’m making it, but how in the heck do you get past installing Perl 5.8.0 when you’re installing the CNUT? Every time I try to install CNUT, I get an error saying that I have to have Perl 5.8.0 and have it installed in my system path.

I understand that this needs to be in the system path, but how does one actually configure Perl 5.8.0? I’ve downloaded a stable version Perl 5.8.6, but apparently, there is something horrifically labyrinthine way to configure it. It seems that all the instructions I’ve found how to do this are either a) incredibly vague and poor or b) so complex that one needs a CS degree just to figure them out. :evil:

Anyone have any easier ways of doing this or am I just in for a hard couple of days of grinding this out and figuring it out on my own??

Thanks!!

First of all you must have working Perl installation. I don’t know which platform you are speaking about (Win/Linux ???).

I had no problems to install the CNUT according the instructions on my W2k machine. Last week I also installed the linux version on the Knoppix 3.7 machine. Just to convert the RPM to DEB using alien, then I hat to manually compile and install the Canopy perl modules which was quite aeasy.
Now I am using both, Win and Linux CNUT’s :wink: for software upgrading, modules checking. No problems at all, really.

I know it should be easy, but I’m not really finding any instructions that are easy. We’re using an XP box.

Do you have any links to instructions as to how to do this? I guess I just need a good first step, just so I know what direction to go…

Thanks!

I downloaded the file named “ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-MSWin32-x86” and installed it on all of our XP machines that update our canopy modules. No problems.

I’m using a Win2k box myself. Didn’t have to do any sort of configuration with Perl. Just downloaded and installed the file. Then installed CNUT. Probably a stupid question, but are you logged on with an administrative account with XP?

sighutch97 wrote:
I downloaded the file named "ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-MSWin32-x86" and installed it on all of our XP machines that update our canopy modules. No problems.

Thanks. Where did you get this file at? Do you have link?

Sorry I'm being so obtuse about this... :oops:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?_x=1

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

It works great!!