Jitter

Do trees cause jitter?

If they do, what is the workaround?

Is it possible to have reliable links with high jitter on NLOS links?

Jitter is the measurement of error in a link’s quality. You can have a reliable link with jitter below 5 in 1X and below 10 in 2X. There is no value in running in 2X if your service speeds are below 1.5Mbps. 1X is more robust.

Static trees cause signal loss which reduces the signal to noise ratio. As the signal to noise ratio goes down, errors (jitter) go up. Moving trees causes the signal levels to fluctuate increasing signal loss.

If you have a link that is marginal and is going through alot of trees, the solution is to add gain at the AP and/or SM, or reduce the loss by elevating the antennas above the tree line.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
or reduce the loss by elevating the antennas above the tree line.

I find this option the most effective when dealing with large pine trees. Just pick the largest and put an integrated SM in the top of it. It can sway a LOT before having any issues when it receives a high quality signal.

We are blasting through some trees using a 27db grid dish @ 5.7 GHz. Jerry recommended it to me in June of 2006.

The only time I lose the signal is during hard rain storms when the leaves get wet.

But, its still better than nothing!