Less UpLink Rate

We have SM which shown on link test as follows.

Stats for LUID: 3 Test Duration: 2 Pkt Length: 1522
Downlink RATE: 3655680 bps
Uplink RATE: 148736 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 99 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 100
Actual Downlink Index: 99
Expected Frag Count: 14280
Actual Frag Count: 14351
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Uplink Index: 100
Actual Uplink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 581
Actual Frag Count: 581

Why is the uplonk rate is so less & still the efficiency is being reported as 100 % ?

I have 3 SM on the Advantage AP. The jitter/Power/Signal Strength all r fine.

Advantage SP has 2x rate enabled.Where as SMs r Classic SM but Hardware scheduled & have the 2X disabled.

Not exactly sure how these tests are conducted and calculated, but at first glance the equation for efficieny seems to be:

Efficiency = [(Expected Frag Count) / (Actual Frag Count)] * 100

On your ap
What is the percent down ? what percent is high prority? what do you have your numunckslots set at?

I have 2450 AP, 2400SM ,
Advantage AP is 7.2.9
SM has 7.0.7
Control slot is 1
Download ratio is 50 %
The HighPriority at SM is disabled.
Scheduling is Hardware.

There are total 3 SMs on this particular AP & 2 of them have problems with Uplink rate & efficiency problem due to fresnel clearance problem.But the 3rd one which has proper fresnel clearance is showing above results.

sorry for the trouble

If I set the slots to high then the speeds go way down

The reason the throughput goes down is because you are taking slots away from throughput and adding them to be used for control purposes (lots of SMs registering at the same time or asking to transmit to the AP).

I'm not sure why the throughput is showing up low on your link tests though. What is the distance the furthest SM is from the AP? What do you have the max distance set for? I've never seen efficiencies at 100% and throughputs so low.

Aaron

The Farthest Link is at 15 kms.The Other two links ar at a much shorter distance of 2 & 4 kms.

So you should have the max set in the AP for 10 miles. That shouldn’t affect throughput. Once you go past 14 miles in the max range setting the radio automatically takes one data slot and assigns it as a control slot. Since you are only running at 10 miles and less this won’t be an issue.

Have you tried changing out the problem SM? Or the AP? And see if the problem follows either one?

Aaron

Isn’t the displayed result the actual available troughput this LUID can get in the time the test was conducted? I assume there are more SM’s registered to the same AP and generating traffic.

acherman wrote:
If I set the slots to high then the speeds go way down

The reason the throughput goes down is because you are taking slots away from throughput and adding them to be used for control purposes (lots of SMs registering at the same time or asking to transmit to the AP).

Aaron

Ok. I got the point.Since One of the SM that is furthest is not stable in night time & keeps registering that must be generating requests for AP &
resulting in reduced throughput on other SMs.

But then in that case if there are so many SMs & couple of them have such problems , then a single SM should not create this problem.Am I right..?
Isn't the displayed result the actual available troughput this LUID can get in the time the test was conducted? I assume there are more SM's registered to the same AP and generating traffic.

The way I understand it is that when you do a link test ALL available bandwidth is diverted to that link - meaning I think all other traffic to other SM's is stopped for the duration of the test. So thie numbers are the maximum the SM could achieve if there was no other traffic. Canopy Support, am I right on this?

...then a single SM should not create this problem.Am I right..?

I wouldn't expect a single SM to cause this issue. If you had 50 SM's on the AP and all of them decided to try to register at the same time then there would be a problem, but not from one SM. Why does the one SM have problems at night? Are there any indications in the logs or stats that point to a problem? Higher air delay at night makes the AP think the SM is further away? Maybe try increasing the max range to 11 miles, or adding one control slot?

I am still confused by the 100% efficiency and low throughput. I suspect that perhaps the SM is faulty. I would definitly try another SM in it's position and see how the results compare.

Aaron
acherman wrote:

I am still confused by the 100% efficiency and low throughput. I suspect that perhaps the SM is faulty. I would definitly try another SM in it's position and see how the results compare.

Aaron

We see at times such less link rates.Not all the times.

You are using the 7.2.9 and 7.0.7 software. Upgrade your SM to the 7.2.9 and do test it again. I had problems with the 7.0.7 and 7.1.4. with Link Test.

Read this: http://motorola.canopywireless.com/support/community/viewtopic.php?t=974

Ok. Will Upgrade remote SM ends & post an update here.