LF: Used BH / PTP link

I am in need of a cheaper PTP 40mb up.

Let me know if you have…

depending on the length of your shot you could use mikrotik and dualnstreme setup to get upto 100mb.

What is dualnstreme?

nstreme is proprietary to mikrotik, which allows for more reliable longer shots with 802.11 along with larger packets. dual nstreme is the use of two radio cards in one routerboard (mikrotik equip.) to pass double the amount of traffic. (ie. one tx card one rx card) google it and youll find all the info you need. mikrotik.com

you could also use just one radio card and use the turbo channel(40mhz wide channel) to double the amount of traffic of a typical 802.11 data rate. (6mb, 12mb, 18mb, 24mb and so on but double those with turbo channel so 12mb, 24mb, 36mb, 48mb, and so on.) we do this for two of our tower sites using 5.4ghz cards and 9mb data rate selected with the turbo channel we get 18mb up/down. 100%efficiency

802.11 has insane overhead… running at 48mb your getting effective 15mb +/- a few MB and poor PPS select PTPs with care you’ll get what you pay for.if you need to do that cheeply find a used PTP 500 or 600 full/lite an 802.11 radio just won’t cut it under load, even with 2 of them. a local competitor depended or 802.11 to try and compare to our network and they are closing thier doors for a lot of reasons, they have bad packet loss, unlreliable PTP and PTMP links and they use all 802.11 hardware doesn’t help our network is solid and we have been stealing thier customers:) and canopy FSK radios are hell on wifi

mgthump wrote:
802.11 has insane overhead... running at 48mb your getting effective 15mb +/- a few MB and poor PPS select PTPs with care you'll get what you pay for.if you need to do that cheeply find a used PTP 500 or 600 full/lite an 802.11 radio just won't cut it under load, even with 2 of them. a local competitor depended or 802.11 to try and compare to our network and they are closing thier doors for a lot of reasons, they have bad packet loss, unlreliable PTP and PTMP links and they use all 802.11 hardware doesn't help our network is solid and we have been stealing thier customers:) and canopy FSK radios are hell on wifi

I dunno man. We have been deploying some ubiquiti stuff in small communities and it kicks ass. Dollar for dollar it walks all over Canopy. And for cheaper. If they come out with a 900mhz product Canopy will be in deep doo-doo because these guys make a rock solid product at a fraction of the cost.

Ubiquiti does make 900mhz mini pci cards to use in devices like a mikrotik routerboard.

we’ve played with some ubiquiti hardware and actual thruput wasn’t any better than any other 802.11 hardware

i will agree it is cheep and for the money does perform well but as far as being rock solid… i disagree a local competitor built thier entire network around ubiquiti and started to get major problems due to the nature of the 802.11 gear and basiclly went bust, we baught him out for 80k and stabalized his wifi network enough to use it until it is replaced, but canopy is at the core. we are slowing going to dismantle the ubiquiti network and replace it with DSLAMs because the network covers such a small area and the customer densitiy will support the hardware investment.

802.11 doesn’t have the range, doesn’t have the interference mitigation or packets persecound like the canopy hardware.

if you run both systems are they are intended to be used 1 motola tower has an agrogate capacitiy of 108MB (6 2.4 or 5x AP nd 6 900) and 70k packets persecound delivered to the customers. 802.11 hardware by spec using lets say 5 APs (which is the MAX you can do and achive full performance) with cluster panels and what not you will be about 75% of motos performance of just the LoS ap group still have the 900 pack to talk about. granted its not much but still avaiable.

the ubiquiti hardware cannot operate near any full canopy (or alvaron ect) clusters (2.4) its simply will kill it we caused a lot of problems for our comp with out meaning to. the 802.11 hardware has little effect on the canopy hardware.

hands down the moto gear will blow te ubiquiti hardware out of the water.
when it comes to bottom line expence. nothig cost more than down time. which deployed correctly motorola has much less than any wi-fi based system.
this comment comes from someone who has been in networking for 25 years and developed more wifi solutions than i can remember.

Microtik works in some enviroments, has it limitations but, its still wifi…
its very dificult and need deep kwoledge.
Ubiquity its a waste of time, money and credibility.

None of these can even be compared with moto ptp…
Maybe radwin2000 can do what you need…

my link is 23miles atleast.

23+ miles, 40+ mbps? Try to find a set of used Moto PTP500Lite connectorized, pair them up with 3ft dishes. New you’d be looking at probably $10k. Anywhere you’d need a reliable 40+mbps should justify the expense. We use a few PTP600Lites, they’re extremely reliable, and you can upgrade from ‘lite’ to ‘full’ whenever your needs grow.

j