LicenseManager Install WTF?

Ok, now I’ve seen brilliance in action.

[root@bamtest licmgr]# …/licensemanager.bin

Initializing InstallShield Wizard…
Launching InstallShield Wizard…

The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag.

Ok, I’m game.

[root@bamtest licmgr]# …/licensemanager.bin -console

Initializing InstallShield Wizard…
Launching InstallShield Wizard…

The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: -console is not supported (1001) (403)

Documentation provided by Mot says:
7. Follow the on-screen instructions that the installation program provides.

Ok, I followed the directions, and the results say unsupported option?
Methinks someone needs to fix the installation script.

Now can anyone offer a way around this problem? No, I can’t run X on this server, my console is /dev/ttyS0 connected to a router’s aux port.

Yeah I know … I had problems with this too.
X seems to be the only option.

Guys am in the same boat…

this thing is driving me mad… after talking to Mot Tech support who told me my down load was corrupt and forced me to downlload 3 times, i read the forum and queried about X, but they weren’t sure.

Although I did read that someone managed to get a X-free version of Mot that worked fine.

The battle continues…

Ash

Perhaps one of us who have installed it (I have X on my BAM server), could Tar up the individual files and send them to you? Would that violate some crazy license agreement?

I thinks thats an excellent idea, although after 2 days of fighting I have finally managed to get it to work.

If Moto dont have a problem or give guidelines (like dummy l*.lic) I don’t mind putting a tar out for the FC3 for the rest of the soldiers.

Although I will have to learn about tar first… but I think its a fantastic idea…

At some point I got to download CNUT and after BAM i’m dreading what Moto is gonna give.

Rgds

I finally got it installed by hooking up a monitor and starting up X and doing the install from there. :frowning:

The problem with this is that X is, in and of itself, a pretty damn big security hole. And, as I start deploying multiple BAM servers out in the field for a “MAJOR” MSO (read: Cable TV Provider), I cannot go installing X on all of these servers, because they will be remotely managed, usually through SSH sessions. The backup console to the server will be a 9600 baud serial line from the AUX port of a Cisco router to /dev/ttyS0 of the server. Kinda difficult to run X through an async serial session.

Thus, I would like to see some response from Canopy support regarding this, even though I know getting a response from them is darn near impossible sometimes. One of the major concerns I voiced at the technical training in Denver last month.

Guess we’ll just have to see.

If i’mnot missing something, X is only required to install the License manager and can be taken off after that.

Tx

vj wrote:
If i'mnot missing something, X is only required to install the License manager and can be taken off after that.

This may be my only option... ohwell.
ccie4526 wrote:

Thus, I would like to see some response from Canopy support regarding this, even though I know getting a response from them is darn near impossible sometimes. One of the major concerns I voiced at the technical training in Denver last month.

So glad to see that almost a month later from creation of this forum entry, we STILL have yet to see any input from Motorola regarding this.

Sigh.

Have you called into the technical support line? They are there to answer these types of questions and if they cannot then they have the ability to escalate. I need to be clear in that we don’t read every post. (I wish we could!!) We started to read everything in the beginning but this has grown quite rapidly. If you do have a hot item that you feel isn’t being answered on this forum then please do call into support.

That said…

We get requests for the CLI version of the install all the time. If you would like access to download it from the extranet then call into support. They can give you access. All they will need is your email address and name.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Well now that Canopy_Support has mentioned it. There is a CLI version of the License Manager. It works pretty well although you still need to install java sometimes to get it to install even without the GUI. I was able to get access to it through the extranet by calling support.
FYI: Support did however tell me that they don’t support the License manage when installed using the CLI version.

I think they should finish development of the CLI version and make it generally available.

Also, it has been said many many times - this forum is not a formal support tool!!

if you have a problem that the forum members cannot help you with, then contact Motorola directly. Don’t expect every post inhere to be read by tech support.

Aaron

So I have this same issue, not having X, and my console is an async serial port attached to a Courier modem. Apparantly I need the CLI installer for License Manager.

I called into the Motorola support line, and the tech tells me the License Manager requires X, and that it will not run without X. I asked if he could ask somebody higher up about the CLI version, as this forum says it exists. I wait on hold for a few minutes, and support comes back to the line and tells me there is no command line version. ARRRGH!

What exactly do I need to tell the phone support personell so that I can get the CLI installer?

I guess not all the phone techs know about the CLI package being available, or the process to get it. They called me back this morning, and e-mailed the the extranet invitation. Yay!

The CLI tar package is downloading now, and I’ll let everybody know how it goes.

The biggest problem I had with the the whole BAM2 install was this freaking FLEX License Manager. Years ago I used FLEXlm on IRIX systems, but there was no java-based InstallShield and it was so much easier…

The Installer cant locate my JRE on RedHat 4.0ES (CentOS4). I was pulling my hair out because I had given the path directly with -is:javahome, and it still complained about not finding the JRE.

My command line was something like:

./licensemanagercommandline.bin -is:javahome /usr/lib/jvm/jre -console

After much trial and error, I discovered that the -is:javahome parameter must be entered LAST on the line. So, simply swapping the options works:

./licensemanagercommandline.bin -console -is:javahome /usr/lib/jvm/jre

Now that FLEXlm is happy, everything else was a breeze. Motorola’s BAM installer was much easier to work with; its simple shell script instead of the Java-based installer.

Next topic I’m eager to see: integrating your own customer records w/ BAM’s SS table. :wink: