Limit bandwidth on SM

this is stupid -

You are right - feel better?

Jerry Richardson wrote:
this is stupid -

You are right - feel better?

Yes, especially when you started in with the "Dude" thing and topped it off with the quote above. Everyone is hear to learn something, and sometimes we all misinterpret things. Next time try not to take things so personally and assume that you're always right. We can all benefit from your knowledge......
assume that you're always right

I am always right, just ask my wife. I apologize if "Dude" was out of line.

you’re both wrong.

just kidding.

Jerry seemed to be referring to what chavex was apparently getting as his “in practice maximum”, but yes, if 5meg/s is what you could get, then for the allotted burst, you’ll get that speed. (So I surmise that you are both right.)

The QOS stuff is pretty confusing. Fortunately, unlike a lot of software, motorola does provide the proper units for this.

For example, note the underlined parts:
Sustained is measured as: (k[u:3kqqe87j]bps[/u:3kqqe87j]) (Range: 0-- 40000 kbps)
Burst is measured as: (k[u:3kqqe87j]bits[/u:3kqqe87j]) (Range: 0-- 500000 kbits)

The sustained is in kbits per second, while the burst is just the number of kbits. Period. (I can’t be bothered to do the math, but like jwelch said, 62.whatever megs…) Where I see it in action is when watching youtube-type videos and such (normally the larger hd videos out there). The first 3/4 or so come in blazing fast then the bucket empties and the last portion takes forever.

I think the best way to think of it is as a bucket of water being filled with a garden hose. A smaller (thanks to what you set it to) rate of flow fills the bucket, and when you try to download a webpage, you pour the whole bucket out at once (goes maximum speed the AP is capable of) but once the bucket is empty, it goes out at the same speed that you set the sustained rate at. If you stop for a bit, the bucket gets a chance to fill up.

Err, that analogy is what I have in my head, but I’m not sure if it makes sense as I write it out.

The Speedtest.net site is great if you have things running wide open, and it’ll overcome small bursts. But if you run the sustained wide open, it doesn’t matter what your burst is. I’ve been meaning to set the burst to 0 and run speedtest.net a bit.

The way I currently like to test sustained bursts is to just download a big file! I’ll go to a site that I know has good reliable large file downloads and watch the rate as it comes in. What I’ve been meaning to get around doing though is put a good sized file on a server at the edge of our network that I can have people download, just to test download speeds in our network and eliminate the variables outside our network.

Your bucket analogy is correct, but here’s a refinement that seems to help even the non-techies understand the way our bandwidth management works:

Let’s pretend that your house is supplied by a tank (farm folks may know this as a cistern) that fills at a certain rate all the time. You can take a few showers without emptying the tank, so you can use as much water as you want, just as fast as your pipes will carry it to you. Once the tank is empty, however, you can only get the water at the same rate that it fills the tank. If you wait for a while, the tank will begin to fill back up and you can run the water out of the tank as fast as you want. So, if you go to fill your swimming pool, you’ll get a nice fast flow until your tank is empty, and then you will be filling it at the same rate as it comes to the tank.

Also, if you’ve got an available web server, you can put your own speedtest mini site up. We do this and it is a great troubleshooting tool. You can get it here:
http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php