Limit SM traffic? (and other questions)

Hello Cambium,

I'm starting understanding and really enjoying these ePMP products. However, I still have a lot to learn so I'd like to ask you some questions! Hope you can help me.

1) Is possible to limit the traffic of SMs linked to the same AP?

I'll explain better: I'd like to know if is possible to reduce (temporarily) the bandwidth of a SM if this uses it too much. (exaggerated use of P2P applications for example).

So, the SM would download at full speed, but after this exceeding triggers, its download speed will slow for a bit, then raise up again, something like this.

Then, is also possible to make some exceptions for specific SMs?

2) How to obtain good Link Quality and Capacity %? As I understood these are in part regulated by Network Entry RSSI and SNR Threshold values.

3)This is about remote management. Is possible to reach the AP from SM side? And, let's assume in a case you forget the IP address to reach the AP in Network and you are in remote. Can you still reach it by knowing (for example) the MAC Address of AP or a way to recover its IP?

Thank you all.

You can hard cap SMs by configuring MIR policies on the AP and then applying them on the SM but for excessive bandwidth throttling you'd probably need to do that at the Router.

There's a lot of things that can affect link quality and capacity, particularly if you are in a noisy area. If you end up on a bad channel that can really affect your speeds. Finding a cleaner channel can really help your speeds.

You can access an AP downstream behind an SM. There's an option in the AP called Management Access. If you set that to Ethernet and Wireless then you can get to the AP if you are at a remote location connected to an SM.

As far as what to do if you don't know the IP, all ePMP radios have a backdoor IP, 169.254.1.1 which is only accessible if you are physically connected to the device. When I am configuring new or replacement equipment I typically use this IP just to make sure I don't accidently touch something on the production network.

1 Like