Local SM access with VLAN activated

After having read through some posts here it appears that it is normal that local access to the SM is inhibited when the unit is a member of a VLAN. This has been causing us issues & I’m wondering if there is a way to get around this.

Thanks,

H.

in order to access the SM you’ll need a computer that you can tag the ethernet packets leaving the ethernet port with the same VLAN tag that the sm is set up for. (most linux boxes can be set to do this. i think mac osx has the ability and windows you’ll need a network card that has the ability built into the driver)

the other way is to bring a small VLAN switch with you that can tag the frames with the corresponding VLAN tag.

If your laptop has a Notebook Express Card slot, I would be happy to sell you an Ethernet Card that supports VLAN.

I bought it not realizing it’s Notebook Express which my laptop does not support.

You could set each SM to accept “all frames” tagged and untagged.

Then you do not need a Layer 2 switch or 801.q ethernrt card for local access.

rculp wrote:
You could set each SM to accept "all frames" tagged and untagged.

Then you do not need a Layer 2 switch or 801.q ethernrt card for local access.

The SMs are already set for untagged frames, unfortunately the maintenance IP access seems to play by its own rules.

H.

I guess I’m confused about your setep.

Each of our SM’s are on seperate VLANs. Our subnet mask is 255.255.255.248. This leaves unused IP’s in each VLAN that we can set our laptop to and get in to the SM’ in the field directly.

We did this purposely in case later we wish to sell more IP’s to the customer, and to leave us a direct way in locally.

Gateway Mask Cust Range SM IP Vlan ID
10.31.66.1 .248 10.31.66.2-5 10.31.66.6 2385

Gateway 10.31.66.1
Mask 255.255.255.248
Cust Range 10.31.66.2-5
SM IP 10.31.66.6
Vlan ID 2385

Use 10.31.66.5 for IP in Laptop