max distance with 5.2 AP/SM?

We are exclusively 900mhz right now and have links as far as 19miles (3mb down 800k up).

We are looking at the 5.2ghz Advantage platform to feed some remote AP’s and our own mesh-networking hardware. What is the max distance you have obtained using the 5.2AP and SM setups?

We use 900 for all our clients (so far), and we put up BH pairs for our first two remotes, but for the last three (about to be four) we put a 5.7 Advantage AP with a 9dBi omni on our main tower. I’m just using standard 5700s for the other end, Advantage SMs would be better, we will probably upgrade them later.

The shortest shot is to our closest remote that is 1.3 miles away. The other two shots are both just past 10 miles. Using a standard reflector at both of those, but I’m about to replace one of them with a PacWireless 29dBi grid. That one’s just a little too close to the noise floor for my taste.

All in all, they are working like a charm, and a whole lot less work/expense to deploy remote locations. We don’t need a tower climb at our main site, just need to do careful alignment at the remote.

I’m pretty sure that we won’t get the range that we would with a reflector on the head end, but this setup should do what we need it to do. Just for reference, the manual says 2 miles with no reflectors, 10 miles with a reflector at one end, and 35 miles with a reflector at both ends. Using the omni-reflector combo we’ve got one very healthy 10 mile shot and one that needs a little more focus.

The other potential thing to watch out for using an omni like this is that you’ll deal with whatever noise is in the band, no matter what direction it’s coming from. BHs allow you to pretty much ignore anything not in line with your link.

Anybody else think of other reasons not to backhaul with AP/SM as compared to BHM/BHS?

Don’t come up with good ones, though, I like the way this is working for us… :smiley:

cvs wrote:

The shortest shot is to our closest remote that is 1.3 miles away. The other two shots are both just past 10 miles. Using a standard reflector at both of those, but I'm about to replace one of them with a PacWireless 29dBi grid. That one's just a little too close to the noise floor for my taste.

So you can use a reflector with the 5.7 but not the 5.2? The reason I'm looking at 5.2 is because we have Orthogon 60 and 300MB backhauls at our main tower and we are looking to put the 5.2AP's on that same tower.

I haven't looked yet but I recall the "beehive" was a snap on device that increased the gain (actually focus the RF more) on the 5.x hardware. Will have to check into that more.

Most of our links for this would be within 10 miles, but there are two or three that may need to be as far as 18 miles.

depends on noise floor… I would say about 10miles is the max you should expect with a dish.

The device you are referring to is a stinger, it claims to increase the distance to 5miles, we rarely get more then 4 on it…

vj wrote:
depends on noise floor... I would say about 10miles is the max you should expect with a dish.

The device you are referring to is a stinger, it claims to increase the distance to 5miles, we rarely get more then 4 on it...

BeeHive, Stinger... I was close! :)

THanks for the info.

Hi there…I have a 14 mi. link (I am using a reflector…bunt don’t tell anyone hahahahah) with a dedicated 1024K for the cust.

I have done 15.2 mi shots with 5.2 and reflectors; I don’t recommend going any farther than 12 - 13 mi, it just gets too unstable at the 14 - 15 mi mark.

Just to follow on my earlier post above, we just switched out one of the 5.7sm sites for an actual backhaul set with reflectors. The shot was 11.5 miles, and we had plenty of signal at the AP side, but were not getting a stable enough shot from the omni to the remote side. In my estimation, the omni just isn’t pushing enough signal to get beyond about 11 miles. We seem okay at 10.4 miles, though.

While the 5.2G and the 5.7G equipment will likely work at the same distances, keep in mind that the fcc has limited the effective radiated power for 5.2. the practical effect of this limit is that dishes (or any other means of increasing the erp of the 5.2 product should not be used. the 5.2 should be used with the antennas themselves and thus limit the range to around the marketed range of 2 miles.

sorry

We have many shots above 20 miles with 5.4 Ghz. There are many factors witch will dictate the max range - noice, fresnel zone, canadian SMs. These new mexican are s*it.