Max Speed from an SM

What is the maximum speed up/down you have been able to get from an SM testing to the Internet?

I’m going out to test an Advantage 5750SM, I’ll post results later.

10mbits down

Well it seems that our main advantage of our tower location is also our Achilles Heel.

Most of the businesses that we would want to provide a 6M x 6M circuit to are too far from the tower to the get the SM to go into 2X.

We are able to get consistent 3M x 3M connections at 11 miles with 5.7 (AP set to 50%) though so that’s pretty impressive. When I set the AP to 70% I was able to get 5M x 1.6M so it seems if I were in 2X I’d see the 10M.

Jerry,

How much bandwith is at your headend feading your network? Is your test running at peak times and are you linking this site with a backhaul or is this done at your NOC? Just curious…

10Mbps at the head end. From there 48Mbps OFDM BH to tower CMM to 5.7 Advantage AP

Testing at peak times as that is the real-world application.

The issue is that 2X requires a minimum of 10dB S/N. At -75dB we are not there.

No biggie though, we are getting a solid 3M x 3M out of standard SM’s so we sell that against T1’s.

At 75% you get the most of your ap. It’s the ratio that get the most throughput.

charles.regan wrote:
At 75% you get the most of your ap. It's the ratio that get the most throughput.

Can you elaborate? I've never heard this claim before.

75/25 seem to be a sweet spot for performance.
I had a doc from moto showing real throughput that confirmed this also.
Alot of people also confirmed that.

I am convoluted. :frowning:

In real world doesn’t the throughput vary upon following factor?

1. No. of SM associated with AP and its traffic utilization.
2. No. of concurrent connections, packet per seconds,size of the packets,broadcast…junks…
3. Distance between AP and SM so, as its Signal Strength and SNR…fallback??

Correct me if I am wrong.

I agree. After quite a bit of testing on our network we found that 75% is the best setting for sheer download speeds.

In our case, we sell only to businesses. In order to distinguish ourselves from DSL we sell synchronous services that compete against business SDSL and T1 service.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
I agree. After quite a bit of testing on our network we found that 75% is the best setting for sheer download speeds.

Interesting, even if counter-intuitive. I'll have to reconfigure from 85% to 75% and run some tests. If download does not change much (or improves!) but upload speeds increase, that is a good thing.

I'm an unusual case, being a private link with a single AP and single SM to bridge two NLOS locations. So the settings don't affect any other subscribers, allowing me to tweak what I can from the link.

Using 85/15, I get link speeds of around 4Mbps down and 512Kbps up from my 900 gear in 2X mode.

please ensure that the whole POP is kept at the same balance when you move to asynh setup including your BH (unless they are on a different band)

4M x 512 - that’s pretty good!

vj wrote:
please ensure that the whole POP is kept at the same balance when you move to asynh setup including your BH (unless they are on a different band)

There is no BH, and the entire POP consists of a single SM, so any changes I make have no effect on anyone else. I'm just a private individual who wanted a NLOS bridge through some trees for my own LAN, and ended up with Canopy 900 to get there.

I'm also rural, and there aren't any WISP's around here (that I know of).
Jerry Richardson wrote:
4M x 512 - that's pretty good!

And it is a rock solid 2x speed with no re-regs even during the heaviest storms so far. Plus I'm passing through some trees including pines.

But this is supposed to be a LAN bridge, not just WISP, so more speed would be *real* nice. I tried setting the frame override to 2.5ms (10Mbps bit rate) in the 7.3.6 configuration, but could never get the setting to get saved. It would always revert to having the override disabled. :(

Being a rural, one-off installation with no overlapping Canopy gear, I was hoping to double my speeds but alas I haven't found the magic incantation needed to make that page work...

Our 900mhz AP has 79 customers on it. According to cacti at the very peak time the total download bandwidth going through is 2.23mbit. the AP is set up in 2x mode, 70% downlink, 12mi, 2 control slots and approx. 45 of our customers are in 2x mode. Does this seem about right? At the highest peak the upload bandwidth was maxed at 562k. Our backhaul to the tower is capable of more than 10 meg.