Maximum Throughput on Canopy Radios

I am trying to confirm what the maximum “usable” throughput is for Canopy AP and SM’s. By usable I mean after any and all network overhead is accounted for. What can a user expect at the SM. This question applies to two different set ups:

Non Advantage AP and SM’s (5.2)?

900 AP and SM’s?

I’d appreciate any and all comments you may have on this issue as well. Meaning besides what Moto is claiming, what real world experiences have people had. We are planning on increasing our bandwidth at the headend, but know that it may not make much sense if the AP’s become the bottleneck.

Thank you.

The usable depends on your BH/AP d/l % & AP ctrl slots. Non-adv 5.2/5.4/5.7 is around 6.75 Mbps aggregate with 70% d/l % & 1 ctrl slot which is 4.9 down / 1.8 up (h/w sched) at the SM.

900 @ 65% & 4 ctrl slots is a hair over 3Mbps aggregate which is 1.7 down / 1.3 up at the SM.

Right talking about normal traffic.
In case of special traffic, lot of small packets (e.g. voip), the total bandwidth could be less because of hardware speed.

jwelch- have you found that to be a pretty reliable number (65%/4slots?) I ask because we are set at 75/3 but the upload concerns me, however we want to make sure DL is ALWAYS going to be good

The best practice is to observe the traffic graph and adjust to your customers needs(65-75%downlink).
We pulled out of advantage ap 5mpbs down 3mbps up with a mix of near and far cust, some voip users…

thatoneguysteve wrote:
jwelch- have you found that to be a pretty reliable number (65%/4slots?) I ask because we are set at 75/3 but the upload concerns me, however we want to make sure DL is ALWAYS going to be good

Yes, it seems to work well for us and we monitor SNMP traffic. We set all 900's in our NW to the same config. One of the 900 onmi's has 84 customers with an avg QOS of 512/512 burst @ 2000. Here are the current Radio statistics as a reference.

Uptime : 5d, 09:53:37
outoctets Count : 4143745517
outucastpktsCount : 47647323
outnucastpkts Count : 427986
outdiscards Count : 132816

We have a couple of other 900's with 60+ customers. I can tell you that Moto's recommend # for control slots is conservative.