Metal boxes for Canopy APs

Does anyone know of any good metal enclosures that one AP can fit into? I’ve found a few but they are either too small or too big.

Let me know if you’ve found one that works well.

Maybe we can help out if we knew what you are trying to accomplish?
as far as project boxes try http://www.newarkinone.com

I’d like to put my connectorized APs into metal boxes so they don’t get crushed by falling and so they are isolated from EMI.

We have a tower that has been hit by lightning 3 times.

The metal-encased cyclone AP does every time.

The plastic enclosed backhauls (3) survive every time.

I would suggest that the AP is better off in the plastic case AND the external antenna NOT be grounded for best survivability in a storm.

The first lightning strike was a direct hit.

The second two hits were ground-wave hits that zapped us through the ethernet/power.

All hits destroyed our router, switches and other things. The direct hit damaged several other things in the building. The power strip plut in the UPS was thrown out of the power socket due to the explosive force of the vaporized brass prong tip. many things were blackened, and arc trails were visible on many objects, including the inside of the cyclone radio.

In the last indirect hit we had a cyclone that used a non-metalic isolation block designed to avoid grounding. It died anyway, and was the only radio that died.

Beyond my lightning experience, I can tell you that internally, the canopy radio is well isolated in a solder can, and any isolation you may expect from a metal enclosure will not buy you anything, and be breached by your ethernet cable. The cyclone can is not a strong rf shield, the ethernet and timing entry points are large rf holes, and the antenna conducts any shielded interference directly into the input circutry.

Do you have a specific problem you are trying to solve, or is this an excercise in design “overthought”?

In my past years of working on TEMPEST equipment, ethernet was pretty much required to be on fiber to prevent it from conducting other signals out of the box. Not to mention the power cable, and timing cable (if used).

I guess what I am trying to say, your idea sounds good in theory, but in practical use it may be a bad idea after all is said and done.

How are you doing the connectorization? The surface-mount SMA connectors provide good shielding once you solder them down, and they preserve the impedance match. If you are soldering a coax jumper with several milimeters of stripped center conductor showing (I saw one withover half an inch of conductor showing!) then you will have a lot of loss, regardless of any metal can. Unless the can is small and tightly wraps the connection, it won’t help correct any problems caused by a bad pigtail job.

I believe metal on cyclones are more attractive to lightnings.

i have a cyclone repaired twice because of it. I also vote for a plastic one instead.

If your metal-encased devices are getting killed by lightning then you aren’t grounded correctly.

Anyone know of boxes that fit the APs well?

Keefe